Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just joined this forum and this is my first post. I just moved to the SF bay area from San Diego and am looking to get a Mark VI alto saxophone thinking that even though it's expensive, I probably won't lose money on it in the long run. Since I am new here, I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me recommendations on where to go looking for it considering that I would like to try it out before I buy it.

Thanks,
Vansh

·
Registered
528 Posts
Bound to be a shop or two in the Bay Area. Troll through craigslist while you are at it.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Best Music in downtown Oakland may have one or two. They do from time to time. Otherwise craigslist is probably the way to go.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,020 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for the info.

Has anyone bought a saxophone from justsaxes.com or dealt with Palo Tung in the past? There seems to be one in good condition there.

·
13,020 Posts
palo's here on SOTW. He seems to be a straight shooter. Send a PM to ptung.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mainly because I get to play a solid horn that also appreciates in price. I guess there are other really good vintage saxophones as well but not sure how much they appreciate, if at all.

·
13,020 Posts
Hmm. I don't know anything about this really, but my observation of prices suggests that Mark VI's may have appreciated as much as they're going to. I could be quite wrong. But many experts think the economy will stay very slow for a long time, decades even. That will tend to minimize the appreciation of everything.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You may be right in that observation but it certainly won't depreciate as much as a new horn or any other horn, so even if I don't make any money on it, I won't lose much. And I'll get to play a Mark VI! :)

Hmm. I don't know anything about this really, but my observation of prices suggests that Mark VI's may have appreciated as much as they're going to. I could be quite wrong. But many experts think the economy will stay very slow for a long time, decades even. That will tend to minimize the appreciation of everything.

·
13,020 Posts
The store on Haight Street must be Haight Ashbury Music. I don't think there's another store there that would have a VI. But their reputation is that they're real ... uh ... dicks to deal with. Maybe if you're looking to spend $5600, they'll be real nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts