Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently broke the screw used to tighten the neck of my mark vi,

is this replaceable>>??

i also think the tread in the hole may be stipped but im not sure.

if this hole is stripped, what repairs can be made?? do i need a whole new part and have it re attached??

any help, advice is much appreciated.

(this couldn't have come a better time since i have my upper divisions on sat)

·
Registered
137 Posts
No worries, man. Any decent repair shop can fix you up in no time. If the threads are stripped they may need to be retapped to a larger size, but everything should be fine, fine, fine

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
It may be a little more complicated than that.

First, any stump of a screw is very easy to drill out (from the unbroken end).

If the female thread is stripped, then there may not be enough metal to go up a size without serious weakening of the whole thing. It depends how much spare metal there is, and from memory, I don't think Selmer has much spare metal there.

However the female thread could be filled with silver-solder, and drilled and threaded.

To avoid stripping (past and future), the wing-screw MUST have the right thread. Various manufacturers use different threads:

Metric M4x07, M4x.75, M3.8x .75. I think you would find that yours is M4x.75, which is not a very standard size metric size, so some technicians will not have threading equipment for that size. (BTW If you went up to 5 mm, I think you would have trouble finding a wing-screw. It may have to be made.)

Imperial sizes are 8-32, 8-36, 10-32. You could take the 4 mm up to 10-32, and wing-screws are readily available, probably with larger wings than what Selmer uses (thankfully!). However some people would regard it as value-depreciating to the sax to alter the original thread.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
While I find it interesting that you admit having this problem for a few days (this just didn't suddenly happen today), and you have a major situation in 2 days, it might be wiser time spent to get it to a tech rather than asking technical questions here, which you yourself can not resolve. Sorry to be blunt, but take it to an experienced tech right now. Lots of assumptions on your part also in terms of what really is, or isn't. You might be right, or not. If you need repair references, please let us know. We'll try to steer you to qualified techs. Best of luck. Gordon is correct on the technical issues, btw. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JerryJamz2 said:
While I find it interesting that you admit having this problem for a few days (this just didn't suddenly happen today), and you have a major situation in 2 days, it might be wiser time spent to get it to a tech rather than asking technical questions here, which you yourself can not resolve. Sorry to be blunt, but take it to an experienced tech right now. Lots of assumptions on your part also in terms of what really is, or isn't. You might be right, or not. If you need repair references, please let us know. We'll try to steer you to qualified techs. Best of luck. Gordon is correct on the technical issues, btw. :)

it did just happened today,

i can still get thru my audition but i just wanted to see what people had to say.

im not that inconsiderate of my horn to let this go for days if at all possible to fix

1 - 5 of 5 Posts