Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,145 Posts
Break a MarkVI? Doubt it. I’ve traveled with one for years. Thousands of hours, miles and gigs and I’ve never broken anything on it.
I guess some people shouldn’t have nice things.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Choice of horn is very personal, obviously. I would never pay $15,000 for an alto. The whole mystique of the Mark VI just really drives prices to ridiculous levels. Not only can you get a good modern horn for much less, but there are many excellent vintage options for far, far less. Not saying a good Mark Vi is not a special horn. I have no doubt they are exceptional. But I love my King Super 20, and I could have purchased 4 of them for what this store is asking.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
There's also this thing called "overvaluation".
This horn is obviously greatly overvalued as a tool (i.e., it's not materially better than other horns costing far less), but whether it's overvalued as an asset is determined by the market.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Considering that horn sold for around $250 maybe $300 when it was new, paying 15K for it would just be stupid. This is the clip people thinking of buying a Mark VI should watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puApTzibuHM
As others have pointed out, you can't compare the $300 in, say 1960, with $15k today. $300 back then is about $2500 today, taking inflation into account (https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=300&year=1960).

On top of that you have a limited supply of something with high demand. Then prices go up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I understand that's what the asking price is. What I'd like to understand is what Mark VI's are actually SELLING for!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
This is why I won't even try one out. I'm afraid I'd fall in love with it and be forced to pay a ridiculous amount. Not gonna happen.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think that asking prices rise extravagantly for these types of instruments due to a market that becomes heated by collectors. The real value of a horn is what someone is willing to pay for it. Asking price is merely shadow play.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Why is it they have guys with a so-so sound telling us what is a good sax?
Please get somebody with a good sound to demonstrate your horns.
So what you're saying is that only the greatest players are capable of getting a great sound out of a Mark VI? Or, could it be that a great player can make any horn sound good.

Why don't you put up a clip playing your Mark VI so we can hear how wonderful it sounds?

·
Registered
112 Posts
A couple of valid points have been made. True, this is the asking price and not necessarily what the seller expects to get and the value of anything is what someone is willing to pay. Also, to be completely fair, I have not played the horn in question, nor have I tried any Mark VI. But I have seen many VI altos priced between $4500 and $8000, much less than the one in question. Is it really that much better than the others? Who knows? It's possible but it seems unlikely.The bottom line is, the horn is not going to play itself, no matter how much you pay for it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts