Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was looking at a Selmer Mark VI Bari for sale, and got a bit suspicious after the seller claimed that there was no "Mark VI" stamped _anywhere_ on the horn. It's in the upper 200,000 s/n range, with no engraving on the bell.

I've seen stamped/engraved "Mark VI"'s on the bands between sections, stamped near the neckstrap ring on others. Is it possible for a Mark VI to have absolutely none of this?

Am I right to be suspicious? Does anyone here have such a horn?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I've seen several late 200xxx Selmer baritones with no Mark Vi stamping. I've seen three Mark VII and a few Super Actuon 80 baritones. Honestly, they are some of the best baritones that Selmer ever made. Until the Serie II baritone came out they were basically improving upon the Mark VI as they went along. Of course, those post vi stamp baritones aren't worth as much as their Mark VI counterparts in the marketplace.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My Mark VI is a 266XXX serial and it has no Mark VI stamp on it anywhere. I chose it out of a batch of three low A Mark VI's, the other being higher serial number and the other a serial from the mid 1960's and this one connected with me the most. I've tried out a lot of horns in the last 5 years of ownership, including a few 12m's, more Mark VI's, some series II's, a The Martin Committee, and a Rampone & Cazzani and none of them have been able to knock my 266XXX horn out of favor. I believe they stopped stamping Mark VI on the sopranos and baritones because they were marketing the Mark VII alto's and tenor's. Seeing the Mark VI brand on some of the horns would have messed with the marketing of the new model.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
825 Posts
I believe they stopped stamping Mark VI on the sopranos and baritones because they were marketing the Mark VII alto's and tenor's. Seeing the Mark VI brand on some of the horns would have messed with the marketing of the new model.
That makes sense. My 263XXX Mark VI Bari is un-engraved and there is no "Mark VI" anywhere on the horn. I believe that it was manufactured in 1977.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes a lot of sense, explained by the marketing motives at Selmer. I'm over my suspicions that something wasn't quite right with the photos I saw. This one is also unengraved, 266xxx.

Steve

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
There is also a small number of Selmer Baris which are stamped "Mark VII", but which are in fact Mark VIs — in all but name.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a silver-plated Mark VI, serial number M289xxx. No Mark VI logo, no engraving, but it’s probably the last sax I will ever sell.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My Low A Mark VI is a 106XXX serial and it has no Mark VI stamp on it anywhere, my 138XXX Tenor also has no VI stamp. Both are European engraved - and I didn‘t miss the VI stamp until now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
There is also a small number of Selmer Baris which are stamped "Mark VII", but which are in fact Mark VIs — in all but name.
Exactly so - there was no new model or even any changes to the baritone until the 80 Super Action and I believe the same was true of the soprano.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts