Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,558 Posts
Constructive criticism. The video is way too long. People got like zero span of attention these days. You should condense it down to 2-3 minutes.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,195 Posts
People got like zero span of attention these days.
You make a good point, but I'd also point out the people with zero attention span will never get far learning to play a musical instrument!

Keep up the good stuff, DeMarious; I'm sure there are people out there getting a lot out of your videos.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
487 Posts
I enjoyed the video and have added this exercise to my practice routine. Thank you!

·
3,558 Posts
When I check out these sorts of tutorials, I search for the crux, the essential seed of knowledge. I gave up here after 40 seconds when I realized this guy just blabs on and on and never gets to the point. He should FIRST demonstrate what he is talking about so we get an idea of where he's going and those of us sufficiently advance who don't someone to hold our hand can immediately see what he's getting at. But he doesn't.

You make a good point, but I'd also point out the people with zero attention span will never get far learning to play a musical instrument!

Keep up the good stuff, DeMarious; I'm sure there are people out there getting a lot out of your videos.

·
3,558 Posts
But truth be told I'm not such a Mark Turner fan. He's over cerebral and he tends to get bogged down in too much of a math dissertation for my taste. Never could listen to him for very long before getting horribly bored. Not nearly enough alpha-state channelling of cosmic energy /poetry happening.

·
Registered
969 Posts
This kind of chord studies is one of the things that Turner seems to have investigated. One of the reasons he states for doing it is that he wanted to relate more to the voicing that the chordal instrument was playing when he was playing in a group instead of just blowing lines. Then he stylistically has absorbed it. So this kind of work is just a scratch on the surface of where it can leads you.
Turner explains it with II-Vs on a masterclass recording, i think it is in youtube.
For me it is a very interesting way of working chords, ear training, and lines with a lot of jumps but still very rooted on the harmony. Technically is a challenge too.

So chord voicings is the key here. Then you can keep developing that to the infinite as everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts