Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a great video of Mark Turner playing Resolution at a wedding!

Crazy to hear Mark play so explicitly in the style of Trane! Solo starts around 4:44

In interviews Mark has stated he likes to minimize the drama in his playing but here that seems to go out the window pretty quickly. I love hearing Mark play with the more aggressive altissimo sound - such a distinct sound from his usual clean and pure sounding high register

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,325 Posts
This is phenomenal, thank you for posting! A good friend of mine was Mark's roommate for a year at Berklee, said he used to sit and transcribe Trane solos at his desk, writing them out without any instrument for pitch reference – which he could do because of his crazy perfect pitch. So Trane is definitely a big influence of his, as much as Warne Marsh, I'd wager.

This is one badass wedding band, for sure. One of the last "wedding gigs" I did before leaving NYC, I was playing keys and John Ellis was on tenor... it was John Leadbetter's wedding (of JL Woodwinds), so of course he'd have a hip band, wouldn't he. :) One of my favorite gigs ever!

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,193 Posts
This is phenomenal, thank you for posting! A good friend of mine was Mark's roommate for a year at Berklee, said he used to sit and transcribe Trane solos at his desk, writing them out without any instrument for pitch reference - which he could do because of his crazy perfect pitch. So Trane is definitely a big influence of his, as much as Warne Marsh, I'd wager.

This is one badass wedding band, for sure. One of the last "wedding gigs" I did before leaving NYC, I was playing keys and John Ellis was on tenor... it was John Leadbetter's wedding (of JL Woodwinds), so of course he'd have a hip band, wouldn't he. :) One of my favorite gigs ever!
I'm pretty sure I saw something on him where he said that he didn't have perfect pitch…….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have to admit I never liked his personal style, sound , even the angle he plays normally. But here he sounds really interesting!!Damn! Even his hands looks closer to the keys than he usually plays.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Can anyone date when this was from? Looks like quite a while ago to me - Aaron Goldberg told me that one of the things Mark Turner was wanting to develop through playing with FLY Trio was a more rhythmic approach to playing, I wonder if his more pronounced finger movements stem from that idea? @Nefertiti, or anyone else, can you recall anything notable in Turner's technique from back in the '90's? I didn't see him live until 2007.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
So great to listen!!
And there are people really diggin the music, i would say that´s just because of the energy and profound effect these modal, quartal, pentatonic sounds has in the listener. And...ok....the great musicians of course!! Spanish Marc Miralta is on drums.
i love it, thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,861 Posts
Can anyone date when this was from? Looks like quite a while ago to me - Aaron Goldberg told me that one of the things Mark Turner was wanting to develop through playing with FLY Trio was a more rhythmic approach to playing, I wonder if his more pronounced finger movements stem from that idea? @Nefertiti, or anyone else, can you recall anything notable in Turner's technique from back in the '90's? I didn't see him live until 2007.
..something from 1993.. solo starts around 3:23

·
Registered
315 Posts
Honestly, Why the hell did he change into that bassoonish wooden tone ?? He sounded just killer. I really need to find his recordings from that time. He even looks cooler!! Amazing!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,399 Posts
Here is a great video of Mark Turner playing Resolution at a wedding!

Crazy to hear Mark play so explicitly in the style of Trane! Solo starts around 4:44

In interviews Mark has stated he likes to minimize the drama in his playing but here that seems to go out the window pretty quickly. I love hearing Mark play with the more aggressive altissimo sound - such a distinct sound from his usual clean and pure sounding high register
I believe this was from Terry Deane's wedding. Terry also played in that video, an unbelievable version of Naima that made my heart stop for a second.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts