Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, why some Mark I saw do not carry such an inscription ?, I have seen them normally placed between what is the elbow and the body, but mine in particular does not take it anywhere, why of that ?.

Greetings.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Welcome to SOTW!

I'm unsure about the answer. I know that there were many design changes. From my sense, it may just be that the design changes led them to take it off. It's a head-scratcher. Also, later on, they had a vertical stamp. Some say it's because they went back to the original design.

·
Formerly 1958SelmerMarkVI
1,510 Posts
It might have had to do with the market it was intended for. I think the 'American engraved' VI's usually had a stamp (either on the body or bell). Mine, which I was told was originally sold in Canada and does not feature the US type engraving does not have the stamp though. Mine is a 58'.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,207 Posts
The Euro models did not have the Mark VI markings but some may have slipped by. The US ones had it sideways near the octave lever or on the bow ring. Not all had it however. You may be referring to a Euro horn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another detail is in the union of the elbow with the bell and the body, the adornment that is a chain braid, in the models of the 5 digits, and in the first of the 6 digits, mine being of the 66, it carries the braided as chain, as the 5-digit and the first 6, I do not know if it is legend, because it is said to have characteristics of the tubes, to what are the 5-digit, and the keyboard also as it is more Small and comfortable, compared to later series, could it be true?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Another detail is in the union of the elbow with the bell and the body, the adornment that is a chain braid, in the models of the 5 digits, and in the first of the 6 digits, mine being of the 66, it carries the braided as chain, as the 5-digit and the first 6, I do not know if it is legend, because it is said to have characteristics of the tubes, to what are the 5-digit, and the keyboard also as it is more Small and comfortable, compared to later series, could it be true?
The earlier models do feel smaller. I have both and later ones, after the change do have a little larger spread, and the sound seems to be brighter.
To me, there’s no such thing as a bad Mark VI, just bad repair persons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The earlier models do feel smaller. I have both and later ones, after the change do have a little larger spread, and the sound seems to be brighter.
To me, there’s no such thing as a bad Mark VI, just bad repaired persons.
Well, you see that my 66, was one of the last with those characteristics

·
Registered
721 Posts
For the first 10 years or so of the Mark VI run, Selmer Paris did not put any “Mark VI” identification on the instruments. If your saxophone has “Mark VI” ENGRAVED on it, this was done in the US. Starting around 110k, Selmer Paris starting STAMPING US-Market Sopranos and around 141k, Selmer Paris started stamping all Sopranos, Altos, Tenors and Baritones with Mark VI.
To put it simply, if your Selmer Saxophone has a Mark VI engraving, this was done in the US. If it has a Mark VI stamp, this was done in France.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts