Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's discuss the difference of the neck during the mk6 run. My 168k seems to have the low arc and tenon measures 27.65mm. When did selmer introduce the high arc neck style? My previous 226xxx had it. Also the late ones measure 27.5mm as modern selmers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,749 Posts
The revised neck was first seen in the late '50s, long before your 168. We don't term any MK VI neck as 'high-arch' because the high-arch neck came out on the MK 7 and is still used today on the 80 Super Action Series II tenor. However, the Series III tenor has the revised MK VI neck design. How you tell the difference is the 'higher-arch' revised MK VI neck has the lower point of the brace ending about 1/2" above the tenon stop ring/collar. This is slightly variable from 3/8" to 1/2". The original 'low-arch' neck (Balanced Action, Super Action, MK VI) has the low point of the arch almost touching the stop ring/collar. This neck continues to be made for the Ref. 36 and Ref. 54 tenors.
The difference in the necks is actually the presence or absence of a short section of straight tube coming out of the tenon. The 'low-arch' neck curve actually starts inside the tenon, at least on the front side. That's why the neck brace lower point is so close to the tenon. The revised neck, having the short section of straight tube, has the point of the brace higher.
The other differences are the revised neck is also shorter overall measured from the top of the sax to the end of the mouthpipe. this is because the neck in any configuration must have the same interior volume, or 'water capacity'. They actually measure this by filling the neck with water at a specific temperature then carefully pour it out and measure it. The volume of the neck has been calculated and the prototype must be very close to this amount. Then they produce exact models of the new neck to be used as patterns in production.
So, the higher the arch, the shorter the neck. This affects how the sax feels to you by changing arm and hand attitudes.
Anyway, what neck you have depends on the location of brace point to the tenon ring. If you seem to have the right neck but it looks too flat, it has been altered and should be put back into shape. #168000 is also well past the point of Selmer USA putting serial numbers on the necks so no help there.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@1saxman, thanks for the info! I just measured my mk6 neck and between tenon socket and brace is 5.94mm

178583F9-7166-4324-9A1E-3626CD7CDCCA.jpeg

Also I took measure of the distance between end of tenon (mouthpiece end) and to the table and it is 57.57mm
183F3741-ED3A-49D1-A1CB-A16AC57DC491.jpeg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts