Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crap, I'm trying to Marie Kondo my mouthpieces and have spent the last 2 1/2 hours playing through all of them. Your supposed to let go of whatever doesn't "spark joy" but what if they all spark joy for you...... It's hard to fold them in thirds also.........

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Step AWAY from the mouthpieces, sir! To quote my wife "why in the hell do you need so many of those things anyways"? ;-)
Actually, my wife is a 110% keeper, but yeah, those words of wisdom do come out of her mouth every once in a while.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
My wife thinks I have too many instruments then I show her the lists of people's collections on SOTW. It makes no impact on her at all. Women are funny.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,003 Posts
Crap, I'm trying to Marie Kondo my mouthpieces and have spent the last 2 1/2 hours playing through all of them. Your supposed to let go of whatever doesn't "spark joy" but what if they all spark joy for you...... It's hard to fold them in thirds also.........
You're better off with the Minimalist approach re: Matt D'avella, Fumio Sasaki, 'The Minimalists' film etc
If something brings true joy to your life there's no harm in keeping it.
I'm into the minimalist concept but I think Marie Kondo is a sham. Contemporary marketing and branding of a simple concept- don't collect crap.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
Crap, I'm trying to Marie Kondo my mouthpieces and have spent the last 2 1/2 hours playing through all of them. Your supposed to let go of whatever doesn't "spark joy" but what if they all spark joy for you...
If they all “spark joy”, maybe you need to recalibrate. Seriously, if you didn’t already own them, would you buy them? Why?

Those are questions to consider, not necessary to discuss openly.

Be well.

P.S., FWIW, and OBTW: I am happily down to no more mouthpieces than I can hold in one hand, and my instruments will all fit into one closet. And yes, I feel better for it.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they all “spark joy”, maybe you need to recalibrate. Seriously, if you didn’t already own them, would you buy them? Why?

Those are questions to consider, not necessary to discuss openly.

Be well.

P.S., FWIW, and OBTW: I am happily down to no more mouthpieces than I can hold in one hand, and my instruments will all fit into one closet. And yes, I feel better for it.
That's some good advice. Maybe I should look at this as "How many of these would I pay 1,000 dollars for?"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,013 Posts
My wife thinks I have too many instruments then I show her the lists of people's collections on SOTW. It makes no impact on her at all. Women are funny.
Wow, how could you? I feel so exposed now...😎🤣

·
Registered
231 Posts
By nature, I am a horder (not just mouthpieces). Within the last year, I sold off a dozen or so mouthpieces along with tons of gear that was going mostly unused and it felt REALLY good! It felt very liberating and I made some money.

·
Registered
697 Posts
By nature, I am a horder (not just mouthpieces). Within the last year, I sold off a dozen or so mouthpieces along with tons of gear that was going mostly unused and it felt REALLY good! It felt very liberating and I made some money.
beware, this sounds like me losing 5lbs and being so happy, to celebrate, i go out and gain 7.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Right, if the mpcs are something that bring you happiness, why not? I just get thrust into fits of anxiety trying many new things out. Plus, I get worried trying to find reeds and make a piece work rather than actually playing music. But everyone has a different thing they get out of trying mpcs I suppose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts