Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any mouthpiece aficionados can verify if these two mouthpieces are too similar in opening and character?

Otto link super tone master 7* metal - tenor
Jody Jazz HR 7 - tenor

I do sound similar in both, trying to see if i should change to get much more noticeable different sound perhaps one darker bluesy sound and one for lighter funky/rock type sound.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Starboarder:
I played both mouthpieces which you mentioned - both were 7* (.105").
Your feeling of sound of those mpcs is quite similar to mine - on both of them I could play with a similar sound.
After years I changing mouthpieces and decided that I would get a warm, fat, full color that I prefer on HR Link Slant type mpcs (.108-.110" is best for me, usually number 8).
I think it's easier to produce definitively more projection, brighter sound (maybe you'll consider it more funky or rock) with more baffle, HR or metal, or with metal-base element (ring+, I mean ring which extends into the HR-or-sth-like-that bore). There is a lot of this type of mpcs, I highly appreciate vintage Berg Larsen, Aaron Drake Studio, Jody Jazz DV, Ponzol, Ever-Ton Studio.
Opening tip must be comfortable for all notes, it depends on personal embouchure. Comfortable combo (opening tip - reed hardness) everyone must work out on their own.
Maybe it is worth considering the reed variant. I found reeds (even among the same model-type and hardness) can be much more bright, loud, producing more penetrating sounds. Sometimes this way you can replace the change of mouthpiece. More opened mpc or harder reed could be helpful in situations needed more projection.
Hmm, and I think - a lot of practice on mpc, the technique of playing is also important - the good or best player can use the mouthpiece out of its usual description.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts