Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
excuse me but does anybody know how 13 year old boy should march with a bari sax .
any help is much appriciated

sorry i was a bit vauge do you march with it in front or to your side

p.s i cant get out of playing the bari
sure id like to play the alto but i just cant

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Re: hi..

lol, you're in the wrong place mate.
But I don't know what to tell you, its hard enough for a big guy to walk with a bari but for a little guy, its probably impossible.

·
Registered
108 Posts

Wear a harness and have good gel insoles in your shoes, you're going to need them. That and a little luck... or a lot of it.:dontknow::white::dontknow:
Yeah, definitely get one of those shoulder harnesses instead of a neck strap. It's hard enough marching tenor with a next strap. I can't even imagine bari!

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts

Lee, I can't add anything about how to march with a bari, but I'll give you a tip on how to get more advice.

In the subject line of your message, it's best to give a short summary of what the question is about, so instead of "hi", something along the lines of "marching with a bari" might get more people helping.

You can edit your post to do this if you like. First click on the edit button. You will see where you can edit the message itself. Then to edit the subject line you click on "go advanced", and now you will see a field where you can edit the subject title.

(but I think that won't change the title for all the replies)

Good luck

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts

How do you march with a bari?? Left, right, left, right. :)

I marched a few games with bari my freshman year, so I would have been 14. I was a big kid (weight not height) and manage ok. I got a break and was told that I didn't have to bring my heels to my knees like on alto, which helped some. It was impossible to bring the right one up, so it looks silly if you bring the left up high, so I "low marched" with both.

I've often wished that I had started specializing on bari from that time on, which would have meant marching with it every year, but I went back to alto instead. The bari player in my band switched to bari exclusively while in HS, so I assume he marched with it every year.

Good luck and just have fun with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts

Step 1. Lodge objection with band director, in writing, citing occupational health and safety concerns.

Step 2. Hire a good lawyer.

Step 3. File claim against school for all kinds of pain, suffering and just add three zeros on the cheque for every other symptom you might think of.

Step 4. Appear on Dr Phil and add a few more zeros to the payout.

Brilliant idea. Wish I'd thought of it.

·
Registered
135 Posts

I don't think anybody should march with a bari, regardless of age. That's just cruel. Band directors who force kids to play a bari sax in a marching band are sadistic.

This thread may help:
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=61828
lol. One of my friends in high school marched a bari. He could've switched to alto but he actually liked playing bari so he stuck with it even during marching.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't recommend marching with a bari. I tried it the other night for the first (and only) time and found it awkward and slightly dangerous when doing a spiral countermarch.

I suppose if I held it centred in front of me that might alleviate some of the issues, but I can't play it that way.

I'm sticking with the alto from now on.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I marched with a bari while in the army. It hurt like hell. The best advice I can give is to use sports tape on the right thumb, hours and hours of building back strenght, using a harness, begging for a switch to alto or tenor and getting gel inlay soles. Oh yeah, and let it hang the most comfortable way possible. You'll know.

For those who'd want to see me marching with a bari, you'll get a fairly good view at around 00:18:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I marched bari my sophomore year. I'm 5'6" and back then I was all of 120 lbs. It can be painful but it's certainly possible, even with just a neck strap (albeit a padded one). If I recall I held it front and center for the most part. I did switch back to alto after that season though. Made alto feel like nothing. :D

I strongly recommend working out your shoulder muscles in preparation.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Wear a harness and have good gel insoles in your shoes, you're going to need them. That and a little luck... or a lot of it.:dontknow::white::dontknow:
Naw, buck up all of you! :D I marched the Pasadena City College Rose Parade Honor Band on bari back during high school (mid-80s). The parade route proper is 5.5 miles. With pre- and post-parade marching it's about 9 miles ... all with a Low A Yani around my neck (none of those fancy body harnesses back then, just a wide strap around the neck). For the weeks leading up to New Years we marched for hours around the Rose Bowl parking lot while playing the set (Everything's Coming Up Roses, Hanna Barbara Medley, etc.) I think the days leading up to the parade were 20+ miles each for conditioning. I was (and am) 6'2" and thin framed.

Now that I'm firmly in Cranky Old Man (ok, I'm only 38), "uphill both ways" territory, let me just say that it's doable with a good strap, good shoes, and a good attitude. And people will appreciate your efforts. I marched the outside column and therefore was about three feet away from millions as we strode past. I was surprised at the amount of shouting for the bari players (there were three of us).

Dean

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
march a piccolo:D:cool:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
at least u hear those.
its kind of hard not to:twisted:

but marching a bari is pretty pointless.
in our marching band
you hear
60% trumpet
30% drums
5% tuba/t-bone/mellos
5% piccolos

screw the (non extreamly high pitched) woodwinds, they just arent heard.

·
Registered
333 Posts
at least u hear those.
its kind of hard not to:twisted:

but marching a bari is pretty pointless.
in our marching band
you hear
60% trumpet
30% drums
5% tuba/t-bone/mellos
5% piccolos

screw the (non extreamly high pitched) woodwinds, they just arent heard.
You must have some pussy sax players if they're drowned out by piccolos. :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
lol

true

most of our saxes just march, dont really play:(

and we only have uhhh.... like 10 altos?

compared to 30 trumpets
and like 25ish flutes
and half of the flutes on picc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,286 Posts

Step 1. Lodge objection with band director, in writing, citing occupational health and safety concerns.

Step 2. Hire a good lawyer.

Step 3. File claim against school for all kinds of pain, suffering and just add three zeros on the cheque for every other symptom you might think of.

Step 4. Appear on Dr Phil and add a few more zeros to the payout.

Brilliant idea. Wish I'd thought of it.
Geeze......Democrats......

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,286 Posts
I probably should have explained how that was an attempt at humor, considering the sensitive nature of some folks here where it comes to politics.......

1 - 20 of 36 Posts