Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my band director lets me use the school's YTS-23 but it is in rather bad condition as it is and everytime something goes wrong he blames it on me and makes me pay for damages that I didnt even create and its starting to empty my pockets rather quick. I'm not saying I havent created a problem or 2 with the horn but when I do I'm the first one to say I'll pay for the damages. But i'll be honest the thing is held together by alot of duct tape that was put on before I came to that school and now its starting to fall off and he keeps calling me into his office to tell me I need to get the thing fixed when all the damage was done like years ago. I need y'alls adivce on a good marching horn so I dont have to deal with this one anymore I'm looking for something in the $1,000- $1,500max dollar area sense i start my new job this summer.

Thanks for you help

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
You can get a YTS 23 like the one you play in great shape for under 500, and get a new mpc to boot!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
and saxplayer67, I agree, tell him to shove his attitude about it being your fault where the sun doesn't shine. If he had maintained it better(as he should have) prior to loaning it to you it wouldn't be having the problems it has now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
Sounds like a miserable bas*#~d to me and i wonder how many other people have had to pay for damages that weren't there fault either. You could get another yamaha or a bundy 1 horn for around $250
Dave

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Does this band director get the horn repaired and ask you to cough up the money or do you go get it fixed yourself maybe recommending the repairer to you? If the former, he's pocketing the money and bodging it himself (hence the duct tape) or if the latter, he gets a kickback from the repairer. :x

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lately I have been fixing it myself and I think I do a better job than the repair guy I was taking it to the tech the first 2 times was because there was metal work involved and I didnt trust myself with the whole metal working part. It still costs me alot when I buy pads and springs, and screws. Theres only one tech where I live so its really slim pickin if you know what I mean. Are tech is so nice I doubt he would be giving my director kickbacks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
There an easy solutions here:

It's call Selmer Bundy Model 1 Tenor with a serial number below 78x,xxx with the left-hand bell keys.

These babies sell all the time on eBay for below $400. They are loud and built like tanks. The tone is pretty good too. You can probably find one that's been overhauled and is ready to go for that price.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Go to the Adminstrator

Hotspur
As a former band director and high school principal, I appreciate the situation you are in. I also applaud your honesty in saying that you have created some of the problems and you are willing to take care of those you have created. I would urge you to take the constant harassment regarding it being your responsibility to pay for all repairs to your school principal. Schools generally receive funding to maintain equipment that needs repair due to general use. Additionally, any school owned instrument that is in a high school band will receive damage and need repair simply due to the high level of use by multiple people. I would approach your principal in a professional, non-demanding manner but in a manner that fully emphasizes your position and what you have done in the past. Any classroom teacher that is continually taking advantage of a student to cover their own lack of attention to school owned equipment needs to have their attitude adjusted by the chief administrator. Good Luck :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually fairly recently our school system dropped the funding for all music activaties and repairs. But they still allow us to have class so we really dont have that much funding.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
You're taking the right path by getting your own horn for this kind of thing. I'm finding more and more that I am need of a "beater" for events that are out doors and even in certain bars. Good luck. A bundy, yts 23, Martin, or Buescher are all good ways to go, just depends on how much you really want to spend.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
As I can't use my tenor on marches as it hasn't got a lyre holder (YTS-875II) I have to use the band's own late '50s silver MkVI instead.

It's a hard life, isn't it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Chris - that late '50s silver MkVI is a bit old for the rigours of the road. Why don't you tell the band you'll give it a good retirement home - and mention you'd do it for free, wouldn't cost them anything........

Do you know, I saw one of those going very cheaply in Macari's in London in the 60's - silver plate was SO out of fashion and considered 'military band' only, and lacquer was 'in'. Regretted walking past it ever since. Such is life.

·
1,310 Posts
If you've got a good sax available for concert band - I suggest picking up baritone horn for marching band and leaving the sax indoors.

Took me a few years of marching in the rain to figure out that WOODWINDS DONT LIKE RAIN!

Baritone horn is fairly easy to pick up - won't mess with your sax chops - and will build up your air.

They're pretty hard to mess up - my baritone horn wound up on the tar by accident before a parade (we won't go into needless details) and the only bad think that happened is the bell got a small bend on the rim.
I played the horn the rest of the year - no problems.

Try that with a saxophone..., hrmph

Think about it...

·
Registered
336 Posts
The band director sounds like a real horse's as, but if you've got to deal with him for the rest of the year then I wouldn't go rushing off to snitch on him to the school principal.

Getting your own horn is the best solution. $1000 will buy a lot of horn, and there's something to be said for the philosophy to get the best horn you can possibly afford. OTOH, that's a lot of dough for a student (heck, it's a lot of money for anyone, even if you have it). In addition to the YTS-23 and the Bundy, I'd suggest the Martin Indiana. Should be able to find one for around $300. Budget another 100 or so for a service, and you'll have a great-sounding sax that will be cheaper in the long run than doing piecemeal repairs to the school's Yamaha.

I just don't know that I'd want to march with a $1500 horn... dings happen, you know.

·
2,773 Posts
I would say just get a cheap horn that's basically in tune like a Bundy or Yamaha. Save the rest for a nice "indoor horn." I've never played the original Selmer Bundys, but I used to play on a Bundy II in high school when my Yamaha was at home and the school's Conn Chu (basically MY Conn Chu for 2 years) was out of comission. Definitely the smallest sound I've ever gotten on tenor, and the intonation was a nightmare.

What year are you? If you're a senior, then it might be time to let loose on your band director. Tear him a new one! Verbally, that is. It probably won't solve anything, but you'll feel better. That's what I did.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
What I would do, is pretty much what was stated above. I would check out the market place, and get a old horn that may need a pad or two replaced. Get it done cheaply, and play it for a year. And save the remaining money for a better horn.

·
Registered
509 Posts
So far you have received many good suggestions, however I would also suggest that you look for a late 50's early 60's Conn 10M. These don't sell for as much as the earlier rolled tone hole horns and are a very good value. I paid about $450.00 for my 1962 model and spent another $300 getting it repadded and lowering the action. These great horns are a blast to play. There is nothing like a 10M in full song, the way the horn vibrates and moves it is almost like it is alive. The ergonomics aren't as good as the Yamahas but the power and full rich tone is worth it. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts