Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I play the tenor sax.

Through the years of doing marching band, I usually break my reeds while marching. I was wondering what someone would suggest to end my problem? I was thinking Rico Plasticovers, but I have never had any experience with anything testing reeds before.

I would also like to ask what type of reed to get for harsh temperatures.
We do multiple shows outside, and when its either really hot or really cold. I was wondering if I picked up another reed for these conditions, if I would be able to get more response from my instrument.

I am also running on a rent-to-own instrument, and I will be able to choose out my new sax next year. But until then, Im still using the cheap mouthpiece that came with the instrument. What would you suggest I get for a upgrade, if its even worth it. I play in Concert/Marching/Jazz and if multiple mouthpieces would be better, I have really no clue. If anyone could help me out a little it would be great!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
If you want to get seperate set-ups for concert, jazz, and marching bands (which I and most others would reccomend) I would go with

Rico graphonite and a synthetic reed (fibracel, plasticover, etc. - just go with cheep junk)

Jazz - use the search function

Classical - ditto.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
atlantis, just get a Fibracell reed and don't worry about it.

Regarding another mpc, you gotta give more info than just saying your present mpc is a cheap, stock mpc. Some of those are actually good so how would we know if our suggestions are an improvement over what you're now playing? What make is it, what model, what tip opening, etc.

Please read this, which I posted today: http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65231

·
Registered
304 Posts
If your problem is breaking reeds while marching, using a Fibracell or a Plasticover isn't going to fix things. Neither type is any more durable than standard cane, and if you crunch your mouthpiece into something you'll still mangle whatever reed you're using.

You might consider buying a full box of standard Ricos. They're pretty cheap, sound decent for marching band, and a box of 25 might last you a whole season.

As for temperature extremes, I'm not sure if Plasticovers are better than real cane...but they are a lot more consistent with variable humidity because they don't dry out. Ditto for Fibracells, but I've never tried to march them. Either one would work great if you are more careful with them...but they cost more than standard cane.

When I was in a marching band (25 years ago) the only synthetic reed was the Bari plastic, and I did use one on tenor for a year or two. Very buzzy even on the Link HR 6 I used for marching band...not a real nice sound, but never warped or dried out either. I liked Plasticovers, but I always seemed to bump into something and ruin them in a week or two, and they got too expensive to replace all the time. Good luck!

·
Registered
494 Posts
How do you break your reeds? Is it the wheather and the temperature or you just aren't as careful as you should be? If it's wheather.. get a fibracells or plasticovers like what they said.. if it's just you.. try and be more careful and bring a mouthpiece cap with you eevrytime you practice or play in the stands. Also, you can tape the holes that are on your mouthpiece cap so that when you put it on, the cane wouldn't dry as fast. Hope it helps.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
Try a bari plastic reed. For me, they sound better than Fibracell (I realize this is not true for everyone) and they last FOREVER unless you break them. For a situation where volume is more important than tone, they're perfect.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Use Plasticovers. Awesome sound (IMO), and really great projection. (Which is absolutely ESSENTIAL for marching band. We want the audience to hear something apart from drums and trumpets :) Also they're good in weird temperature changes. Just don't use them on a mouthpiece that's already too bright, because plasticovers are by nature just about the brightest reed I have ever tried.
Fibracells are decent as well, just FYI they run pretty soft in strength. Don't have as nice a sound though i think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,497 Posts
Rather then starting a new thread . I thought I'd piggy-back on this older one.
I need marching help in another way.
I'm teaching some kids the flutophone and before they even blow a note i want to work on there sense of time by marching them a bit.
It's been about 30 years since I marched and I forgot what you say when you turn?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
It's been about 30 years since I marched and I forgot what you say when you turn?
I did not say anything when I turned while I was in (high school) marching band, since I often had a sax mouthpiece in my mouth.

This brings back memories.....our high school band director had a policy that we were not allowed to play in the high school jazz band, unless we also played in the marching band.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts