Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Paul for hosting Feb and sending us all into the shed with a great tune , and allowing me the honour of choosing this months tune .

I thought i'd pick a tune that I've never played on, but something that that wasn't too difficult and allowed room for interpretation .

From what I can make out , Unit Seven is essentially a blues with an added middle eight ( B ) - AABA with a gorgeous melody .
Have fun!

Unit7Eb.jpg Unit7Bb.jpg

·
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If anyone needs a backing , I am happy to accomodate any style/ tempo requests on the ireal app .

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Great call Dave!

Love those Cannonball tunes, promising an alto version this month...hard as I can swing it!!! :lick:

Shawn

ps ...and just when I was expecting something seasonal such as Gone with the Wind, Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most...help me out guys...Up Jumped Spring, Springville, or maybe Swing Spring... maybe I'm just chomping at the bit for some warmer weather!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
ps ...and just when I was expecting something seasonal such as Gone with the Wind, Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most...help me out guys...Up Jumped Spring, Springville, or maybe Swing Spring... maybe I'm just chomping at the bit for some warmer weather!!
Boy, me too... My swimming pool is still only around 60'degrees.

In addition to Cannonball, there are several tributes that cover this including an Eric Marienthal, and also Chris "Doc" Stewart's Phoenix album.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I'll be back with a straight-up take later on, didn't have an alto available to me tonight...here's a little tenor version I dreamed up...

Unidade Sete

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Dave-

That video of Tim Ries is KILLING! Don't think I've ever actually played that tune .... will be a fun one to work on!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
Killing. By 1993 Tim was in the thick of the NY talent pool, doing Broadway, studio work, Maria Schneider Orch... I was paying close attention to Tim in those days around NY, I went to hear him in different settings a bunch. I got hip to him when he came up to Binghamton in 1989 for show, and that show... lets just say hearing him changed me around a good bit. Here he is using a Francois Louis Wood mouthpiece, and getting a phat sound on that thing too. Nice to see my friends Jerry Sokolov on trumpet and Charlie Gordon on trombone.
Dave-

That video of Tim Ries is KILLING! Don't think I've ever actually played that tune .... will be a fun one to work on!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
That Tim Ries solo is a perfect transcription candidate. Cmon who wants it?>

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Here's my straight-ahead version on tenor and alto. I tried to get as "live" a feel as possible with the arrangement. Still feeling pretty rusty, especially on that alto!

Fyi, I had to compensate for some balance issues in the mix by panning the first half towards one channel and second half to the other...it switches between the solos
Unit 7 (alto and tenor)

Btw, amazing how much acceleration occurs in the stock volume 13 track from the beginning to the end. I adjusted the tempo a little when I extended the coda for backing track.

ps A little background on that first slow version... Unidade Sete...I was thinking along the lines of Milton Nascimento's early to mid '70s recordings with that one...

·
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Shawn , thanks for throwing the first one out there . You sound like like you've been in the shed man. Both axes sound great , I prefer your tenor tone , fat and juicy . Nice playing too , leaving some nice spaces there.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Thanks....got a little more playing time in last couple weeks. Just playing through tunes.
It's these uptempo numbers that give me the most trouble lately, that's where the lack of regular time on the horn shows up.

Hope the action picks up a little here...think I have one surprise left for this month....

Shawn

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Guilty as charged!!! It's pretty aparrent I've only played alto a few times in the last year...
you didn't seem to have quite as much control on the alto...
Thought I should try a video take at some point...here's an extended tenor version with the "regular speed" JA track. Spaced out a moment at the bridge, but I thought this had the most cohesive improv overall...not great quality, just a quick video using my digital camera.

Unit 7 video

·
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've had couple of requests for backings and have a couple of different styles , drop us a message if u want one . Sounds like Jamie has a cool backing from Shawns take.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Dave - enjoyed your playing quite a bit. Always great to hear your interpretation and playing. Some exciting twists and turns in there, and some cool turnaround phrases too. Interesting watching you work... so little wasted energy/extraneous movement and very focused. Somewhat opposite of my approach there (always interesting observing yourself play/practice).

Appreciate the nod to Sam Jones as the composer...I always think of this as Cannonball's tune, being the groups theme song. Actually one of several jazz standards composed by his bandmates (Scotch and Water, Work Song, This Here, Mercy-Mercy-Mercy)

If anyone is looking for the standard backing track let me know.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts