Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I found out Alexander Superial #3 is perfect fit for my SR Tech Pro tenor sax mouthpiece (.108 tip opening). I bought a pack of Alexander Superial for my alto that was mostly not working well and heard from other people about consistency issues with Alexander reeds. I also heard Marca reeds have been consistent for them; not sure if it is still a true statement since a lot of reed manufacturers come up with consistent reeds for a while and then later not :(

But anyhow, I like to see if I can find a model of Marca reed that has the same tonal character of Alexander reeds. I found all my Alexander reeds #3 on my tenor behave pretty much the same to give a clear and brilliant (pronounced) high overtone frequencies which could be called buzz or edge, etc. but it is not whole lot of high frequency range to be perceived as shrill or too bright, and I think it has a good chunk in the heart and upper vamp area so I found it has enough warmth and low frequency presence to sound balance to my ears. I think they are very thin at the very tip, medium between heart and tip, and thicker in the upper heart area, perhaps with pronounced thinned out sides. These are just my rough impressions and a bit of experience with shaping reeds based on Larry Teal's saxophone handbook so please take it with a grain of salt :)

So I appreciate your feedback if you have lived with Alexander Superial for a while and now you are using Marca for the same tonal concept. I bought a pack of Marca Jazz 2.5 and to me the brilliance is not there. It sounds more mid-rangy rather than pronounced highs and lows. I found they are stiffer in character compared to Alexander Superial. Marca responded that he doesn't know the equivalent (or sort of) of his reed models compared to neither Alexander Superial nor Rigotti Gold. He recommends the new Marca unfiled reeds for tenor in strength #3 but I feel it could be too dark and hard if it's going to not have a thinned out tip. Most comparison charts either don't have Marca models or just put Marca (without model) which is useless because Marca's strength varies for different models, or I found they are not very accurate because they put Alexander Superial #3 being much stronger than Rigotti Gold 3 which I don't think it is true. So I'm hoping to find a live example of trying both reeds :)

Anyone has tried the new white box Marca unfiled reeds for tenor?

Thank you!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,510 Posts
I dont have an answer to your specific question but the marca reeds i have played were not like the Superials at all.
I found java reeds to be closer and more affordable.
I have not played Alexanders for a while so i cant compare consistency

If you wanted to play marca to try them i would go a bit softer. Alexanders have a thin tip and feel soft compared to many reeds.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Maybe its worth emailing Marca to ask. They are the ones who make the Alexander reeds, so they should know...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe its worth emailing Marca to ask. They are the ones who make the Alexander reeds, so they should know...
I asked Nicolas Marca through Facebook and he said he doesn't know the model either equivalent or as close it can get to Alexander Superial reed. I'm waiting for his response for which Marca reed model has the thinnest tip. Normally it makes sense if a reed company has different models, there would be a description for each and highlight the differences (thick vs. thin tip, thick vs. thin heart, longer vs. shorter vamp, tonal differences, etc.) but many of them don't make it very clear.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,021 Posts
Marca Jazz #3... at least #3.
The Marca Jazz #2,5 is way too soft compared to a Superial.

Otherwise... with a thin tip, try a D'Addario Select Jazz #3 Soft or a Rigotti #3 Light.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm a big fan of Marca Jazz reeds. They're my main reed on alto, tenor and bari. I usually play 1-1/2 or 2. On some mouthpieces I get very good results with a 2-1/2. I have Alexanders but haven't really played them that much. My dilemma is that I'm out of the Marca Jazz Tenor 1-1/2 and have no real source for them other than hoping someone has some for sale on EBay. I've started using Gonzalez Jazz Local 627's as a backup. They play well, but don't come in a 1-1/2 and the 2s don't play quite as well as the Marcas on some of my mouthpieces.
So..... Does anyone know of a source for Marca Jazz reeds?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Did you try ordering directly at Marca? https://www.marcareeds.com/store/

By the way, like most reed manufacturers except Vandoren, Marca is a small company and they are easy to get in touch with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts