Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

does anyone have or has tried both models of the Marc Jean ligature? Are the differences big?

Thanks
Frank

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I dig version 1 way more. With the 1st gen, the reed contact was minimal as the two wooden strips were small and overall the entire ligature was much more compact. I find the 2nd gen actually deadens the sound a good bit as the wooden block is quite large and touches a good portion more on the reed, and it’s quite bulky vertically. Both great ligs, hopefully you can get a chance to give both a blow and see for yourself!

·
Registered
507 Posts
For what it's worth - I had a version I which Marc custom made for me to fit my Drake 'Son of Slant', but after a few years of hard use, one of the screws stripped. I sent it to Marc for repair and he sent me a version II, which I found too bulky for the 'Son of Slant' and made the mouthpiece very difficult to grip while adjusting the position of the mouthpiece on the neck cork without moving the reed. I returned the version II and Marc sent me what is essentially a version I but with a large single screw (which I was informed had been a prototype) and it works very well.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I had a II for each of two horns. They looked good & felt sturdy. Did not hear the tonal enhancement that some claim. Found the block of wood overly bulky, with a tendency to slip off the reed. Could not make small adjustments in the midst of playing without the reed slipping out of position.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My vote is for the 2 screw 1st Gen. Simple, effective, I find it very neutral, if that makes sense...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
Same.
I like the 2 screw version I.
Holds a reed nice and securely and sounds just like any other ligature.
Meaning it has no effect on sound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts