Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start off, I've never played a vintage Link, so I don't know how to compare it to one, but I picked this up on ebay--in short, it's amazing. It seems to have very slight to no baffle. It's an 8 and the chamber is polished to a mirror finish. I don't really understand the terms spread, resistance, blah blah, etc. It just sounds amazing and is effortless to play--I still like my RPC, but this seems to be a step up. Also, consistency of tone from top to bottom is really something. Seems to produce whatever sound I want it to wherever I am on the horn. 2 questions: One, for anyone else who has this model, what reeds have you found to be the best match? I'm using some old boxes of Guardala 2's and 3's; Two, out of curiosity, if you've played both this and the Fla Legacy, what are the similarities and differences? How about a comparison to the Slant Legacy? Really interested in what birdlives1955 is doing over there in his shop.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I’ve never played a Marantz mouthpiece, but I’ve played a lot of Links and Link-alikes. I’ve found that Rigotti Gold Jazz works very well with these type pieces, and have also had good results with D’Addario Select Jazz. I would try a 2 Hard or 3 Soft or Medium in the Select Jazz, and a 2 1/2 Strong or 3Light or Medium in the Rigotti.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll try those. I'm having pretty good luck with the Guardala's, although that supply is limited, and also with LaVoz Med Hard. Again, though, I just can't believe how much easier it is to play with this mouthpiece--the whole range just requires so much less effort while producing such a great sound.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'll try those. I'm having pretty good luck with the Guardala's, although that supply is limited, and also with LaVoz Med Hard. Again, though, I just can't believe how much easier it is to play with this mouthpiece--the whole range just requires so much less effort while producing such a great sound.
Hey there, well thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you were able to pick one up in such good condition! I haven't made that particular model in years, but the few that are still out there have gotten me some good feedback which I'm grateful for.

It's amazing you were able to get that piece in relatively unplayed condition. Most of them are pretty beatup looking by now! I hope you enjoy it.

The design on that one, as you saw, is a big Double-Ring sized/shaped chamber with a low rollover baffle like a real Link. I've never been a fan of hyped up "link-alikes", I love the originals and my whole goal with all my mouthpieces is to try to find a way to emulate the great mouthpieces of the past with a focus on improving their efficiency. So very hardfast attention to table flatness, curve geometry, and baffle profile is paid on each one. All of those parameters are procured by hand and time/money are of no consequence to me. Only the end result is important, and the focus is always on quality over quantity.

All that being said, I have sold relatively few metal pieces in comparison to the HR Slant Legacy model! I suppose more people play HR but I'm always a little bit baffled by that just because the metal pieces are just as fun to play as the HR's.

The Florida Legacy is a bit different than the Double Ring Legacy. The DRL always had a bit thinner rails than I actually wanted because of the machining process on those particular blanks. So in that light, the new Florida Legacy is an improvement and has more traditional (although still somewhat thin) rail shapes. So the FL has a little more stability and is a little easier to play, in most cases.

All that being said, the DRL has a haunting sonority because of that classic chamber shape from the Double Ring and the new ones are based more on a Florida from the late 60s. So they're a little brighter than the DRL's I suppose.

I still am very much active making the Florida Legacy pieces! There's pics & info here http://www.marantzcustommouthpieces.com/product-page/florida-legacy-metal-mouthpiece-for-tenor-sax

This is a great example of a soundclip of what they sound like too. I recorded this on my horn with Select Jazz 3H Unfiled reeds and a Keilwerth SX90R black-nickel/gold horn which is my weopon of choice. :D https://soundcloud.com/marantz-mouthpiece-work/florida-legacy-7

Oh yeah, and for reeds, I always play D'Addario Select Jazz 3H Unfiled on pretty much all tip sizes, mainly 7*-8-8* tips.

Best, and thanks,
Matt

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, first off your playing on that clip is inspiring. Thanks for the detailed response—your passion for your work is not only evident in your pieces, but in how you talk about them. I love it! And, shared love for the sx90r here, too.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Matt, your pieces looks and sounds great but what makes me curious to try one of your pieces is that you're a fenomenal player too! A player of your caliber demands a great piece and have high standards, I think that's a good thing to guide you when trying to make your own pieces.

Skickat från min LM-G710 via Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,220 Posts
Matt makes great stuff, I have three pieces that he's worked on and they're all fantastic. I don't have one of these Double Ring pieces, but my main tenor piece at the moment (which Matt finished) works really well with Rigotti 3.5 strong reeds.

I haven't owned a metal tenor piece in years, but I'm probably gonna get you to make one for me this year, Matt... for real! :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have two Double Ring Legacy's (6* and 7*), a Florida Legacy 7* and a Slant Legacy 7*. Yes, I am a fan of Matt and his work. You'll always know that he makes every effort to make the best 'piece possible. Nothing hyped or on 'roids, so the "wow" factor comes over time as you really connect to the 'piece, which I've taken the time to do.

All are beautiful sounding in the realm of a good Link; responsive and consistent across the range of the horn. I've played his Double Ring for a few years, though find his later Florida and Slant 'pieces even better than his original generation. The Florida in particular does everything for me, from soft to contemporary like you'd expect from a good original Florida Link, but so easy to blow and responsive. I find I can push the Florida Legacy a little further into the bright spectrum if I want, which is nice to have available.

For reeds, Select Jazz, Rigotti Gold, and Vandoren Java Red all work well for me. Of those, I like the extra zing I get with the Rigotti's.

To the OP: that's Brancher Leggerio is my favorite lig, though I use a Selmer 404 (because I broke my Leggerio over-tightening)

Lastly, I might post the 6* Double Ring for sale since I have 7* across the range and that opening works best for me. PM me if anyone is interested. I had Matt replate it in black rhodium, which looks gorgeous.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To the OP: that's Brancher Leggerio is my favorite lig, though I use a Selmer 404 (because I broke my Leggerio over-tightening).
I got the Brancher because I've gotten used to the Vandoren M/O on my RPC and like it so much--it is quite similar. But they don't make the M/O for metal tenor pieces, which is weird because they make metal tenor pieces (but I do think they make one for either alto or bari metal pieces, IIRC). Anyway, ya, regarding the fragility of the thing, I keep a 404 in the case just in case. Which reminds me of something totally not related, but I was helping teach English as a second language to adults new to the US several years ago and the word "case" came up. Man, if that isn't one of the worst words to explain.

Me: In this case you would use the past tense...
Him: Case? Like a suitcase? [mimicking picking up a suitcase]
Me: [facepalm, thinking of all the uses of case...]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts