Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a wind band today. The band director asked me what reed I am using. I told them I an using Fibracell. Nobody seems heard about this brand, so I have no way but just told them it is a "plastic" reed. Then everyone laugh at me.

I have been strongly recommended to change to "natural reed"......

Is it wired to use "fibracel reed" or "plastic reed", in a wind band?

thanks

BTW, I am a bass clarinet player in the wind band...

·
Registered
579 Posts
If they asked you because they are worried about the sound you are making, you might need to think of changing.

If they asked you only because of what the reed looks like - ignore them

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they asked you because they are worried about the sound you are making, you might need to think of changing.

If they asked you only because of what the reed looks like - ignore them
yes, they worried about the sound I am making !!!! So, I will change to "Cane" reed..

Is that Fibracall or "synthetic reed" not accepted in a wind band (concert band)?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I use Fibracell (1 1/2 strength, their "Premium") exclusively on soprano clarinet and alto saxophone. One reason is that those two instruments sit on my stand a good portion of each set and when I pick them up to play, the reed is ready, not dried out and warped.

But the even better reason is that they play so much better for me on those two instruments. The trick is to match the reed to the mouthpiece (but that is true with cane, too). I had to do quite a bit of experimenting over many years to discover the best Fibracell/mouthpiece matches.

On soprano saxophone, I found that a soft Fibracell worked pretty good on my Selmer Scroll-shank C* and S-80 D. Right now, I keep an S-80 G with a soft Fibracell on a soprano set up for easy and quick practicing. But on soprano, the close-tipped pieces aren't strong enough for me during a performance, and the S-80 G requires too much pitch-control to be used in public. Easy enough in private, though.

The bottom line is does your Fibracell sound good? And, does it play well, in tune, for the duration of a performance? if so, disregard the sniping. DAVE

Rather than calling them "plastic", I'd use the term synthetic. The Bari Company makes plastic reeds and for me, they are chops-busters. I never found the right combination with Bari reeds (or Legere, for that matter).

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
*Teasing*
Are you a clarinetist or some who just plays the clarinet?
A true clarinetist uses ONLY cane reeds. :)

If the reed you are using now is causing you to have issues with blending, it may be time to go back to cane.
OR, It's time to really concentrate on refining your tone.
Hit the shed and do a lot of long tones. Think big, round, and smooth. Adjust your oral cavity to match your thinking.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've used Fibracell reeds for many years now on clarinet, alto sax, and tenor sax. For me, they are always consistent and sound great. I still use cane sometimes and have friends that think it's cane or nothing, but for most gigs/performances, I pretty much exclusively use Fibracell. Try some different reeds just for the experience and see if your friends still complain about your sound. If so, then the issue may be something other than the type of reed you are using.

Best of luck and keep practicing!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Phil-tone comments often about it good having one around on gigs...i know sakshama plays one exclusively

do mouthpiece refacers favor synthetic reeds because they are consistantly even?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,354 Posts
I know some good players who use plastic reeds, I think it's silly to laugh at anybody equipment anyway. I am actually jealous that you can play on one. I can't get a decent tone on them and my intonation is all over the place when I use them. So it's not for me. Last tour I did was very WET. ( tropical wet) and my reeds gave up quickly, the baritone player played plastic and didn't have a bit of trouble.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Try legere signature reeds. They won't be able to tell the difference.

·
5,444 Posts
I'm in complete agreement with those advising you to blend in with the wind band. If you're not blending, which is kinda obvious by the director's response, then the easiest and quickest adjustment would be the reed. If you insist on using the "space-age, advanced-polymer, synthetic" reeds, then you've got some wood-shedding to do to ensure you blend in!

I like fibracells btw, and would use them much more often if I didn't have to "blend" in myself! Rico Royales help me do that!

Oh, btw, if you get the same reaction even after shifting to cane, then the issue is a bit more organic, and it's definitely off to the wood shed for you, if you know what I mean!? :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have a feeling that it's more the mouthpiece reed combination rather than just the fact that you're using a Fibracell reed. I've never had issues blending with Legere's or the Fibracell that I've tried, but I've matched my mouthpieces to my reed. What size reed and what kind of mouthpiece are you using?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I get this same problem. They say, "HA! Synthetic reeds all sound horrible all the time no matter what! Switch back to expensive cane!" Then I'm the only clarinet player who can play their part.

Synthetics work better for me because I squeak less, I can hit notes I wasn't able to before, etc. People are closed minded. The same people in my band are the types of people that think "Buffet makes the best clarinets, Vandoren is the only good reed, if a saxophone isn't shiny it must be bad, or if you can't play a solo the first time you suck."

·
2,309 Posts
I don't know about specifically about Fibracell, their website is down right now. But you can go to the Legere site and see some of the clarinet artists using their reeds and there are a few heady players there. There are players all over using synthetics now.

I'd also recommend you check both your mouthpiece and the current strength you are using.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Plas Johnson, the guy who played the PinkPanther solo with Henry Mancini, seems to use a baritone fibracell reed on his tenor. I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with his sound :) so obviously fibracells can be used to make nice saxophone sound...
Bjorn

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
I was actually told once that a true clarinetist uses ONLY Vandoren cane reeds. I was using Rico Grand Concert at the time.
Funny, I guess they haven't heard of Mark Nuccio, Acting Principal of the NY Phil...

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
I don't know about Fibracell (I've played them occasionally on classical alto, and was very pleased with the even and dark sound that I was able to obtain), but Legere does indeed have some heavy hitters on their artist roster...Larry Combs, for one.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a feeling that it's more the mouthpiece reed combination rather than just the fact that you're using a Fibracell reed. I've never had issues blending with Legere's or the Fibracell that I've tried, but I've matched my mouthpieces to my reed. What size reed and what kind of mouthpiece are you using?
I am using Clark W Fobes Debut Bass Clarinet Mouthpiece with Fibracell 3.0 ....because this combination help to to get the high clarion register speak easier. (My previous mpc is Selmer C* with Fibracell 3.0........)

thanks

1 - 20 of 45 Posts