Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is with disappointment that I am posting this.

I purchased a full boehm clarinet that needed a case (I've since read that a clarinet being sold without a case may be a red-flag). In late March 2021, I arranged to send it to Manning Custom for a custom case - it also needed an overhaul, so I went with the combination offer: case + overhaul. I also paid ahead of the work being done.

Many months latter, I started wondering what the status of the case + overhaul was. Over the span of several weeks, I asked by email, PM here, and telephone. It was only after calling that I received a response saying that it should be ready to ship soon. That was a month ago, and I still have not received the instrument.

At this point it feels like fraud. I don't have my instrument, communication is lacking, and I'm out the money that I paid for the case + overhaul.

Now, maybe the overhaul went great and the custom case is fantastic. The problem is I won't know until I finally receive the instrument back.

I hope that others have had better experiences than this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,305 Posts
I like his cases for what they do, but would suggest they are generally overkill unless you travel with your instrument and are worried about the rigors of the road. The idea that you need to send your horn to be fitted seems a bit much (unless it is something very unusual). I have one for a unusual instrument that I travel with and the fit is fine but the finish work is not great. To be clear, the cases are fit to your instrument, but the shells are standard size. I would argue they are not truly custom cases but custom fit.
I have only played one sax overhauled by him, and it didn’t feel right to me.
Good luck on getting it back, I hope it all works out well.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I have one of his cases and a reference 36 that he overhauled and put actual copper resonators in with black roo pads. It’s plays nice, but I’m sending it to be set up by Ken Beason because of Manning’s reputation. The guy used to do quality work but then got super sketchy. Idk if anyone has seen Bill Singer’s post about the Manning “overhaul” with painted — yes, painted — resonators.
Brown Wood Gas Circle Tints and shades

Wood Automotive tire Hardwood Wood stain Tints and shades

• Wow
Reactions: Jazz House
1 - 4 of 4 Posts