Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was informed by my repair man that the C-melody was good to go
it took almost 4 months to bring this relic back to life but at last the Resurrection is finished (i will post the pictures as soon as i find my camera...the before and after pictures...maybe tomorrow Manila Time).

i have a question though.

a friend is trying to sell a conn for $180.
i only got to see the pictures but soon i will try to see it in person.
the guy told me that it was an alto but he said that it was a Pan American Model
it had the inscription "september 14, 1915"

the question..
is this an alto or is this a c-mel?
is this a student model or is it intermediate?
is it worth buying or not?

here are some pictures of the Conn

thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
475 Posts
The date inscription is just the patent number - if you can get the complete serial number, it might be easier to find out the date it was manufactured. I don't know if Pan American had their own serial numbers, or were numbered with Conn's serial numbers. There really wasn't a "student model" back in those days....

I had a nickel plated Conn alto years ago that looked a lot like this one, and it sure played wonderfully. Kinda sorry I let it go.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Marc - Definitely an alto ('A' on back), looks well worth $150, if it's a PanAm it's a later one (same side bell B/Bb). 1915 is just the patent date, not sax age, but I'd have expected to see a 'P' at the start of the serial number - as was normal with all Conn stencils, including their PanAm.. Al, afaik, the serial numbers don't coincide with the real Conn lists.

Is that a microtuner, on the neck, something seems different at the end of the cork ? (difficult to see in the pics)

Is the front-F an add-on, or is the pearl just different ?

I've got a couple of (Conn) PanAmerican soprano's, Bb and C, and (imho) they play as well as 'Conn Conns', normally just lacking (e.g.) rolled toneholes, and maybe not the latest mechanism, but they're great players, just not being engraved 'Conn' keeps the prices down.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
All Conn made horns have the letter of the voice above the serial number. This one would be from about 1933-42. It is nickel plated and the front F is missing the pearl which can be replaced. The pads look very good and $180 is a great price. Buy it. The P-A microtuner is different from the Conns. P=As did have different serila number than the Conns and ceased in about 1955.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advise guys..i really want to buy this.someday i will get my hand on this,maybe on the next pay day...

by the way...here are some pictures of the maimed c-melody i posted a while back..it was resurrected by the technician and it plays good...i may have some difficulties because i only play alto Eb (mark vi) but when i tried it late last night when a friend requested that i accompany her while she sings...it did play good..d=)

i had a hard time in the transpositions in my head but our perfomance turned out great...

i sensed some wet panties after...hahah joking d=)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts