Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what year this Malerne Paris MasterTenor is? I just won it in a bid on ebay. Serial # 7XXX. It is in amazing condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,512 Posts
:| Mmmmmmm, Yes...(just yanking your chain here, TCK)....it's always interesting how folks can take a plethora pf photos yet somehow miss the Pinky table . :scratch:

TC, the table is really important here, so can you please snap a shot and post ?

A few months ago I refurbed a Malerne Master Alto.....it was a fabulous alto. The typical Malerne-esque body but the keywork was definitely upgraded from the typical Malerne or Malerne-esque stencil.

The Pinky Table was a more modern style. The octave mechanism was different as well. All in all the horn felt much slicker under the fingers.

These are very good horns I would say, basing it off of the Alto I worked up.

Definitely worth putting some $ into to get it playing top-notch.

Very interesting these...one wonders where the keywork came from, and whether it was assembled at the Malerne factory (as their more common models seem to have been) or somewhere else.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will get you more pics once it arrives. These are screenshots off the site. I got it for nothing so from the condition it appears to be in, it should be worth it to get in working order. I have a pic of the serial number. I don't have a pic of the pinky table.

TCK123

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,459 Posts
This “ Malerne” may very well be one made bu Alfredo Santoni (although it lacks certain charachteristics) and also a rather late ’70 made one.

Santoni was ( a factory rather unknown to the large public ) specializing in stencils.

They certainly made Buffet and at least some Malernes. Bear in mind that this says PARIS (not Made in France) so, it refers only to the location of the Malerne company, which is a typical feature of many stencils.

This is a Buffet , Santoni made, which looks similar to yours (I don’t have the pics of the other side)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see some similarities, but I do notice some big differences, all of the key arms on the bell and bow are at a 45 degree angle. The lower table is at a 90 degree angle to the body. In your pic the key arms are at 90 degree angles to the body and the table is at 45 degrees. The exact opposite. Sorry if my terminology is not correct. I am pretty new to this. Its killing me right now waiting for it to arrive. I have spent more on a mouthpiece than I did on this tenor.

TCK123

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,459 Posts
It is very difficult to find exact contemporary pics of anything. There were many companies providing other companies with stencils (even famous companies like Buffet and Couesnon)

Anyway, by the time your horn was made I am quite confident that Malerne was no longer making saxophones of their own, or, at the very least, they used parts made by others.

The role played by Santoni in this (Malerne and Buffet) was a few years ago, completely unknown, until we started discovering lots of horns with strange characteristics.

Read about Alfredo Santoni Ditta Giglio Paré-Como and their Buffet (and Malerne)connection.

http://thesax.info/blog/alfredo-santoni-and-the-mysterious-production-of-saxophones/

http://woodwindshelp.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/7/9/23791000/italy_sax.pdf

Another very funny hint may be the fact that you horn has a very prominent Lily on the pant’s guard. Of course this may be a French Lily BUT consider that the name of the Santoni company was (Ditta Giglio) and that GIGLIO means Lily in Italian!

these are bad pictures but you can see how your left hand plateau looks like this A. Santoni Baritone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JayeLID, were the serial numbers higher or lower than mine, I would assume it is an older horn since it is a 4 digit number. I wish there was more info on Malerne serial numbers. Old or not it should be a nice horn for a buck fifty.

Todd

·
Registered
128 Posts
JayeLID, were the serial numbers higher or lower than mine, I would assume it is an older horn since it is a 4 digit number. I wish there was more info on Malerne serial numbers. Old or not it should be a nice horn for a buck fifty.

Todd
Todd,
You're lucky I recently bought a (Klingsor) Hammerschmidt alto from Jaye and some sweet mouthpieces from Norbert Stachel. Otherwise I wouldn't have let you outbid me for this one at the end! :whistle: Soooooo close.
Enjoy it in good health! It's a heckuva sax for the price you paid.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So you were bidding against me sdpeters. I had done a bit of research before the last day of bidding. I still cant believe how little I paid for it. I did raise my max bid quite a bit above what I had paid. I appreciate you letting me win that one. I think I am done for a while now though after 4 tenors an alto, and two clarinets I also won another auction for a Berg Larson 105/1M 70’s vintage for a steal.

TCK123

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick pinky table shot. As I suspected, it did not make it here unscathed. The octave pin is bent to the left. Fortunately Its not too bad and I am going to take it in for repair tomorrow. Besides the damage, its in great shape. I haven’t had time to check how it plays yet. I will take some better pics later.

Attachments

·
18,512 Posts
I see some similarities, but I do notice some big differences, all of the key arms on the bell and bow are at a 45 degree angle. The lower table is at a 90 degree angle to the body. In your pic the key arms are at 90 degree angles to the body and the table is at 45 degrees. The exact opposite. Sorry if my terminology is not correct. I am pretty new to this. Its killing me right now waiting for it to arrive. I have spent more on a mouthpiece than I did on this tenor.

TCK123
I agree....some elements of the Master are not easy to pin down to the standard details of other makers. The pinky table I have really never seen on any other horn before. It could be Santoni, although I know for a fact that the bells of Santoni Evettes are a different bellpiece than the bells used on Malernes (or those identified as Malerne stencils). Which isn't saying much as far as clarifying anything...but FWIW Masters have the slimmer bell flare typical of other 'Malerne stencils'.

·
18,512 Posts
Quick pinky table shot. As I suspected, it did not make it here unscathed. The octave pin is bent to the left. Fortunately Its not too bad and I am going to take it in for repair tomorrow. Besides the damage, its in great shape. I haven’t had time to check how it plays yet. I will take some better pics later.
Beautiful. The ones I have seen and worked on were not in that good a shape, finish wise. There it is, very unique table, roller on G#, right-hinged. It's a GOOD table as far as how it performs IMHO.

these are bad pictures but you can see how your left hand plateau looks like this A. Santoni Baritone.

Actually as we see now, the pinky table on that Baritone is not the same pinky table as on this Master. Not only are the touches shaped differently, but the Bari has a quadruple kingpost and a stem connected to the back of the G# touch to 'stop' it at the body when depressed. The Malerne Master has a triple kingpost with the G# on a separate post, and the G# is 'stopped' when depressed by a bumper post soldered to the body.
Different mechanism.

You scored, TCK my friend. People may just say 'huh ?' when you tell them the model, but these are good horns !

Todd
Sorry missed that question before...I believe the Alto I refurbed was a 4-digit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I took a few minutes to look it over and it has some nice aesthetic touches. The octave mechanism is interesting as well. The flower motif is on the octave key as well. The bell is offset to the right and the engraving is much more elaborate than the previous pics had shown. You can see the octave pin damage luckily the pin is straight. Ouch!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts