Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. So, I have this little question that I think might be useful for future mouthpiece shoppers.

Background: I am looking to purchase a used mouthpiece (specifically, a Phil Barone Hollywood, 7/7* for tenor saxophone). Currently, I play an Otto Link Tone Edge (you know, the modern hard rubber ones) with a size 6 opening. I briefly played a Berg Larsen 105/3M (that's equivalent to a 7*) not long ago but sold it; although it provided edge, it lacked the brightness I was looking for.

Sadly, very few PB Hollywoods have been coming on the market, and most of these pieces come in 8/8* tip opening. One regular and insightful user on these forums warned that an 8* might be "too big" of a jump from where I'm currently at.

Meanwhile, on many of his mouthpiece listings, user 10MFAN has advocated playing with a tip opening one step up due to his mouthpieces' high baffles.

Thus, here's the question: if I'm used to playing 6-7* mouthpieces, would it be OK to play through a size 8, since the Phil Barone Hollywood mouthpiece has a considerably high baffle?

Furthermore, I currently have offers to buy a Phil Barone 7* New York, or a Phil Barone Hollywood 8 (and both for the same price, as well). Obviously, the former has the tip size I need, while the latter has the intonation style I'm looking for. Would you argue that the model makes the bigger difference, or the tip opening does? If you were in my position, would you buy the NY, the Hollywood, or just keep waiting until a 7* enters the market?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, sorry for the ramble. I recognize this might be an obvious question to some folks here.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,208 Posts
The difference between a 7* and 8 is not big and if the 8 would be too big you can always go to softer reeds (especially when you come from a 6 tip). I would go for the mpc you want. If you choose the 8 you will have to put the work in to get used to it (can take some time, but starting with softer reeds will make it easier).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker
1,816 Posts
Some pieces do indeed play "smaller" due to longer, flatter facings and/or high baffles. None of Barone's mouthpieces fall in this category. IME his pieces tend to play (w/r/t resistance) about how I would expect a good Link of that size to play. Like mrpeebee said, you could always use a softer reed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts