Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
I'm about to be a freshman in college and would like to begin taking a big step towards my future career as a musician. That step is creating a musician's website for my music. The only thing is well,,,, I don't exactly know where to begin! haha. I know if you google "How to make a website" several options come up some claim to be free some cost money. I know it will probably end up not being free to get a good working site with an easy URL and such but I would like to know what website generators are trustworthy and even possibly don't break the bank to bad? haha I figured instead of taking a stab in the dark and picking one, asking a forum full of musicians on my same instrument might be more effective!
Thanks in advance!
David Bernot

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,871 Posts
Well, I use Joomla because it's easy when you update your site frequently. There's many WYSIWYG HTML editors to make websites with, some free, some not free. A good hosting service is nice, having an easy URL is a must. OTOH these days you can almost get by with just having a facebook page and a twitter account linked to it.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Get a domain. Maybe your whole name if it is available. Then check out something like Wordpress. It is highly flexible, and you can host it at wordpress.com for cheap. http://en.support.wordpress.com/domain-mapping/register-domain/ though you can't do a LOT of tweaking though. You could look at something like http://www.squarespace.com/pricing/

Depends on what you want to do, a CMS like Wordpress or the aforementioned Joomla will make it easier to add things and keep a consistent flow of a site. I dunno about the FaceBook/Twitter thing. I know a lot of people turning away from Facebook. I mean, 5 years ago everyone said get a Myspace page......and look what happened there. Getting your own domain is the way to go. It's like investing in Gold. Gold doesn't lose it's value, and a good domain name won't either.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,107 Posts
Agreed. Get your own domain name, it will also give your email the personnal touch you need to promote your music. You can always open additional personal pages on whatever space is hip just now, and link to your permanent page.
Unless you want a very exotic look and feel, go for a major CMS like Wordpress (Blog like) or Joomla (Portal like), it will make the maintenance much easier, including from your smartphone, on the road.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I also use SquareSpace, and will echo David Erato's sentiment.

I recently used Weebly to get a site up for a band I'm in. It took about 3 or 4 hours, looks nice, and seems to get the job done for now. This is using one of their free service levels. My only cost was the domain registration.

You can see it here: http://www.zeropointbigband.com/

best of luck,
~ Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts