Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to want to make my sax look tough, but remain sexy. I play a selmer super 80 and I really wanted a black sax with gold showing on the pretty engraving. I was told that if I had it painted, you would have to go straight over the pretty engraved bits on the bell. So essentially you wouldn't see them. However, I was looking on ebay the other day and saw someone selling a sax with gold engraving.... He does not accept questions! so I couldn't ask him, but is it possible to do this, or did selmer release a sax that was painted?

check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxrSAz2dl9s
I think I want my sax to be black again....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxrSAz2dl9s

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
this is a model from selmer...
why would you want to paint your sax? jezz... sax is to play not to look cool for chicks... if it plays great what do you care?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
what Selmer factory does is after they prep the parts needed for painting they apply 3-5 coats of black lacquer to the horn then when dry they do the engraving
afterwards down to the brass, so it would show up through the paint. then apply a coat or two of clear lacquer over that to seal it.
doing it your way wouldn't have the same effect unless after you have it painted the horn is reengraved so it shows at all. do what you want but i wouldn't go through the trouble, really! sell your horn and buy one already black painted, problem solved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tinpalaceroach

what Selmer factory does is after they prep the parts needed for painting they apply 3-5 coats of black lacquer to the horn then when dry they do the engraving
afterwards down to the brass, so it would show up through the paint. then apply a coat or two of clear lacquer over that to seal it.
doing it your way wouldn't have the same effect unless after you have it painted the horn is reengraved so it shows at all.
Thanks for your information tinpalaceroach. Seems a bit too much effort really. Unfortunately SaxTMan I don't see anything wrong with playing exceptionally well to a large crowd of people and looking cool at the same time. In saying that, I think most saxes look cool no matter what the colour.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Thanks for your information tinpalaceroach. Seems a bit too much effort really. Unfortunately SaxTMan I don't see anything wrong with playing exceptionally well to a large crowd of people and looking cool at the same time. In saying that, I think most saxes look cool no matter what the colour.
but are you already playing exceptionally well or your first priority was painting the sax?..

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've been experimenting with a hard as nails, spray on finish borrowed from the firearms industry called Duracoat. My first project was a Dizzy Gillespe style trumpet I made just to try this stuff. I'd post a pic, but the trumpet is already sold and gone. I bought one of their "shake and spray" kits in matte black. It turned out great. It's available in a lot of different colors. I'm thinking about buying it in bulk and offering it as an option on overhauls. I'm going to try it on a alto sax next. Here's a link to their site. http://lauerweaponry.com/

·
Registered
606 Posts
It's easy to get it black...just put it in the lower part of the flame of a large candle, or you could use your bong for that, too. It will get real black, faster than you can say "That looks expensive".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts