Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, after my success on the last project, I thought I would start the next, being in Australia, we have nil access to repairer tools and supplies, and the size of the repair items prohibit it being possible to ship from the USA to Australia, so as such Im forced to make the gear myself, and Im happy to share the knowledge of making this stuff with anyone
My question is who has made a dent workcentre, Ive seen a few, where you mount a large mandrel into the body drop your instrument on top and wind down a burnishing tool from above to apply a compression load and "iron" out the dent, anyone made one or has any recommendations on how to go about making one. Will probably design and make it this weekend, but am after any advice
Thanks
Steve

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
simso said:
...being in Australia, we have nil access to repairer tools and supplies, and the size of the repair items prohibit it being possible to ship from the USA to Australia, so as such Im forced to make the gear myself...
Interesting. Being 'across the ditch' in NZ, I have imported anything I have wanted. Plenty access!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See theres the difference between different country's, lets say for example this unit could be shipped through the usps. It would cost say 240 in freight plus 1499 for the original item, this means in australian dollars Im looking at about 2100, now the fact is its to big for usps to australia, it does not conform, as such ther only other method of shipping is via fedex, which charges for an item like this 1410 aust for shipping, now add on the original purchase price in aus dollars approx 1600 gives a total of 3010 australian dollars, now on top of this you require a australian broker for all the customs paperwork because it went through a private shipping company and not the postal service, this now incorporates the following fees, broker which is another 250 plus customs slug you with fumigation fees of 230, then internal shipping within australia because it now has to go via melbourne which is 2000kms away plus 10% gst of the total price including shipping which so far is 3490 so thats another 349 and then you have a 5% duty fee of 174, internal shipping say 100 gives a grand total of>>>>>>>>>>>4013 landed at my door.
Welcome to australia. Its great if its under a 1000 and not heavy, after that reach really deep into your pockets
Steve

PS I estimate it will cost me maybe 130 bucks to make it myself

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,385 Posts
Gordon (NZ) said:
Interesting. Being 'across the ditch' in NZ, I have imported anything I have wanted. Plenty access!
I don't doubt it's possible to import just about anything, but I think simso's point is that it comes at a price, and the cost of shipping is prohibitive for some things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts