Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is double post, never posted here before and tried making a thread but seems it didn't post...

Got a new Pmauriat System 76 yesterday. Played it out of box and was stoked on the sound and playability of it. Stopped, swabbed it, and put it back in case. Today, I was having troubles with low D, it was being stubborn and not wanting to project fully. Tried few different reeds and that didn't seem to do it. Thought it might be something with the neck since I am not used to having a neck that tightens, my last horn was an old conn that had a neck that was naturally loose no matter how tight the screw was.

Reassembled the neck and now nearly the whole horn was having the same issues. Low Bb - first A will just not play, blowing hard would just squeak. 2nd Bb - C# was fine. 2nd D - A was no good. 3rd Bb and up thru altissimo played fine though. Kept experimenting with the neck thinking it might be a fitting issue but had same results.

I am not use to having sax problems, I played that Conn for 10 years and just had to replace pads here and there.

Appreciate any help!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,411 Posts
Most new horns require some adjustments.
Take it to your tech.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,248 Posts
What exactly are you doing over and over again to the neck? Put it on, tighten it a hair, play, loosen, remove, clean, and put it away...what else is there?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,486 Posts
I am not use to having sax problems, I played that Conn for 10 years and just had to replace pads here and there.
Appreciate any help!
Welcome to SOTW. Congratulations on your new 76. Is/ was Conn Alto or Tenor? I’m suspicious that your problem may be blowing too hard for the new horn. That old Conn(?m) may have had leaks that you were blowing past to make it work. Same mouthpiece & reeds as Conn?
Try moving the mouthpiece out and note changes. On a long shot the pads swelled overnight from not drying out and you have a leak somewhere. Toss a wine cork or mouthpiece cap down the bell and see what happens. New horns “settle” some. Plan on seeing your tech twice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,780 Posts
this may be cause by you turning the neck too much ( left or right) and consequently opening the octave key. Make sure you observe what you do (and the action) when you mount the neck on the horn Also you may have grabbed the octave key too enthusiastically and bent it slightly out of action. The neck key is easily bent and turning the neck too much may easily lift it( without you noticing it).

If your neck on the Conn was loose it was leaking, all necks need a tight but not overtight fit. The only thing that might have never made you aware of this is that it probably was a neck with a double sleeve.

If your conn had a underslang octave key you may not even be aware of the top octave key on this new horn.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
this may be cause by you turning the neck too much ( left or right) and consequently opening the octave key. Make sure you observe what you do (and the action) when you mount the neck on the horn Also you may have grabbed the octave key too enthusiastically and bent it slightly out of action. The neck key is easily bent and turning the neck too much may easily lift it( without you noticing it).

If your neck on the Conn was loose it was leaking, all necks need a tight but not overtight fit. The only thing that might have never made you aware of this is that it probably was a neck with a double sleeve.

If your conn had a underslang octave key you may not even be aware of the top octave key on this new horn.
Good thought, I've had horns that were sensitive to the swing angle of the neck. Try different angles, and note if you find the sweet spot. If that's not a comfortable angle, have a tech adjust it so it is.

Also, I have squeek and speak issues when I've laid off a while, and my lip is quickly exhausted, or I'm holding the horn in a slump, interfering with good entry mp angle, or the reed was left on the mouthpiece and needs to be sanded on the back to better fit the table. Also, I have one horn that I suspect has some sloppy keywork, because low D can be easy or difficult randomly. Sloppy keywork can produce a come-n-go leak. There are probably some other candidates.

·
40,780 Posts
it is mostly the fact that this appears after assembling and the suspicion that OP may have been getting into the habit of turning the neck a bit more on his previous horn.

Any horn needs tightening the neck and he got used to a freely revolving neck which may have given him the wrong habits.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,201 Posts
I’ll cast a vote for the octave key not closing when it should.

Get the horn to a tech, and let someone actually look it over and fix it.

·
40,780 Posts
the preliminary check up (and possibly, if it is only a position matter) can be carried out by OP himself.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,443 Posts
the preliminary check up (and possibly, if it is only a position matter) can be carried out by OP himself.

I have been caught on the hop by this several times. [I am a slow learner, with a bad memory.]

Some horns are very tender about neck position and octave key.

·
40,780 Posts
indeed, bending the key is easy (in some models more than others).

One of the great things about underslung octave key (did OP use a Conn 10M?) is that is not only generally impervious (and protected) to bending but also that if you stay within the dimensions of the activator it will always work.

Overslung octave keys need also being adjusted for so called “ lost action” more often (or at all) than underslung.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,443 Posts
I do not know about any difference between the Conn neck (which our OP knows about or 10 yrs) or his new one.

However, the observations about the octave key business certainly will apply sometimes, and a person dropping on on basis of the thread title might be helped.

·
40,780 Posts
well his new one is an overslung neck, being a P.Mauriat 76 Tenor and there are good probabilities that the Conn he mentions had an underslung neck (which would explain why he is not familiar with the particular overslung problems)

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,237 Posts
Could it be a few fibers or something from the swab got trapped under one of the keys? I changed to a new reed the other day and when I started playing it was hard to get a sound out and there was this strange rattling sound. Turns out a small piece of the plastic reed wrapper had fallen and gotten trapped under one of the side keys. Pulled the plastic out and all was well.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Logic question. What key leaking or not closing completely would not affect the Bb2, B2, C2, and C#2 but would make all other notes below Bb2 and from D2 up to Bb3 and above difficult, if not impossible to play? I think I have found the answer. Can anyone else see the relationship that I am looking at?

·
Registered
69 Posts
The G# key, I believe? Easy to knock out of adjustment. Still may be the top of neck octave key mechanism got hit, and is staying open, even if just a crack. But I do defer, Saxoclese.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
The G# key, I believe? Easy to knock out of adjustment. Still may be the top of neck octave key mechanism got hit, and is staying open, even if just a crack. But I do defer, Saxoclese.
Good guess. You are very close. If the G# were not closing the note A would still work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,486 Posts
OK I’m up for the challenge of the Chinese wood block puzzle. B 1? Upper stack Bb?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts