Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me the fingerings for all 12 major scales?? I am trying to learn them all but i am having trouble.All help is appreciated. Thx

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
Learn the chromatic scale first, then you'll have all of the notes, and can figure out the major scales.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i know my chromatic scale. how would i get the notes from it??

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
Pattern for major scale is wwhwwwh, where w=whole step, and h=half step, so C would be C(w)D(w)E(h)F(w)G(w)A(w)B(h)C.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Get any basic book on music or sax playing. You NEED books to to this music stuff, no way around it. The intervals between notes are identical for any given set of scales like major, blues, etc. etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
From the interval pattern:
W-W-H-W-W-W-H
So for a C scale, start on C, then a whole step to D, whole step to E, half-step to F, etc, and you get: C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C.

Another way is to build scales based on the cycle of fifths: to get the scale up a fifth, start with the C scale and and a sharp to the 4th, so the G scale contains C-D-E-F#-G-A-B-C (or G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G) ; the fifth of G is D and the 4th is C, so the D scale is D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#-D., etc.

·
Banned
305 Posts
For flat, take the 4th AND add b at the forth of new line. Re write the flat on the previous line

C D E F G A B C
F G A Bb C D E F ----- 1stb
Bb C D Eb F G A Bb -----2ndb
Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb -----3rdb
Ab Bb C Db Eb F G Ab ----4thb

And so on until 6th b

For Sharp take the 5th AND add # at the seventh new line. Do like the flat above.

C D E F G A B C
G A B C D E F# G
D E F# G A B C# D

And so on...

·
Registered
2 Posts
SBramblett said:
Can anyone give me the fingerings for all 12 major scales?? I am trying to learn them all but i am having trouble.All help is appreciated. Thx
get to the nearest music store and pick up a book called "Foundations For Superior Performance" by Richard Williams & Jeff King. Its a pretty good book with plenty of scales and warm-ups. Should cost around $5.

:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the help. i know about 6 of the twelve major scales.the sharp scales are easy, but the flat ones are a little different.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,936 Posts
All a major scale is, is a dorian minor scale starting and ending on the 7th note :bsod:

It's really more about learning the "finger patterns" for each key. I think of keys more as finger patterns on the horn. Actually the "harder keys" are Cmin, Fmin blues for me. C#min is an easy finger pattern...go figure...I think of keys as finger patterns, full range of the horn. Focus more about how the notes sound and feel under your fingers. Improv 'comes easy after that.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,509 Posts
this may help - scroll down and you can SAve as to your computer and print the JPG out or the Major scales. you can take them up an octave , or play two octaves etc
http://www.saxmaniax.com/theoryscales.htm

they're also probably hiding in any study book that you may have.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
Two remarks :
1) a good way to remember the scales and practice them is using the circle of fifths :

(from : http://www.carolinaclassical.com/scales/circle.html )

2) the best way to really get them in your fingers is using your ear. Play the major C-scale to hear te sound of the scale, and try to get the other scales just by listening. It helps to avoid having to think about which flats or sharps to play.

A combination of both concepts should get these ones internalized.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
SBramblett said:
thanks for the help. i know about 6 of the twelve major scales.the sharp scales are easy, but the flat ones are a little different.
In Dutch we have two silly phrases to remember the "quint circle" (I probably translated that wrongly). The specific sentences are not much use to you, I guess, but I am sure there are equivalents in English.

Frits Bakt Eieren Als De Grootste Cent

Geef Die Aap Een Brood Fran Cien

Here I think almost everyone learns them as a kid, and they stay in your head for all your life :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
jthole said:
In Dutch we have two silly phrases to remember the "quint circle" (I probably translated that wrongly).
Indeed, that's the circle of fifths (or the circle of forths, they're not really consistent at the other side of the ocean :D )

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,936 Posts
Steve, I looked at you scales. The enhanced blues scale I haven't seen before. It gives me something interesting to practice & play around with. :)

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,228 Posts
michaelbaird said:
Steve, I looked at you scales. The enhanced blues scale I haven't seen before. It gives me something interesting to practice & play around with. :)
Another way to look at that extended blues scale is as an enhanced mixolydian:

Take a mixolydian scale and add in the b3rd and #4. I find it a bit easier to envision this way.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,509 Posts
michaelbaird said:
i need to practice my own stuff .. i forgot all about that one (note to self: read my web page once in a while) :cool:

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm surprised nobody mentioned "Father Charles". :)

Starting on C (or whichever arbitrary note, anyway), you can figure out the key signature.

Every time you go up one word along the mnemonic, you add one sharp. Reverse the mnemonic, and every time you go up one word, you add a flat.

Father Charles Goes Down and Ends Battle
1#____ 2#_____ 3#__ 4#__ 5#_ 6#__ 7#____

Battle Ends and Down Goes Charles' Father
1b____ 2b__ 3b_ 4b__ 5b__ 6b______ 7b____

The mnemonic tells you which sharp/flat is added along with the previous ones.
This mnemonic doesn't tell you which KEY the sharps or flats are in!! See below for that.

Also of importance is to know how many sharps or flats are in any given key...

With Sharps, the scale name is one semitone above the last sharp:
i.e. E major: F#, C#, G#, D#, what's one semitone above D#? E!

With flats, the scale name is one flat before the last flat:
i.e. Cb major: Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Cb, Fb

---

T'is how I learned 'em. I learned the circle of fourths and fifths previously, but it never stuck. This did.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts