Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
As i'm currently learning all the major scales, i would love a list of (simple) melodies/tunes that are played in the various keys. This could be anything from contemporary pop, rock, r'n'b to standard jazztunes and whatever. The idea is to learn them by ear, to help grasp the major scale concept. Any suggestions will be appreciatet.
Best regards
Tobias

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,682 Posts
Are you asking for tunes that are entirely diatonic to the major scale? That means, using only the notes of the major scale. You'll want to look for very simple tunes. "Happy Birthday" comes to mind. That's a good one to start with because your ear already knows it.

There are thousands upon thousands of tunes written in a major key, but most are not entirely diatonic. Certain chords and melodies require an alteration of notes (if you're reading music, you'll see an 'accidental' sharp or flat indicated). And some tunes modulate (change key), but even without a true modulation most tunes incorporate chromatic notes outside the diatonic scale.

If you want to practice in various keys, then try playing 'Happy Birthday' in each of the major scales you know. You'll have to really know those major scales to do any of this.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,682 Posts
Auld Lang Syne is another diatonic tune (of course you'll only play it once a year!). Actually, it only uses the notes of the major pentatonic scale (1 2 3 5 6); try it and you'll see. That in itself is useful knowledge for playing the tune, but I guess it wouldn't fit the requirement for practicing a complete major scale.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts