Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a hard-core Getz freak, and this new release has me losing my mind. Don't hesitate this is pure Getz gold!!! Yeah I got my panties in a bunch over this fo sho.
GETZ. 1961 LIVE SET. At the very apex of his powers. Tempos are often insane. And he plays Impressions!!!
All you Breckerheads who think Stan was a wishy washy bossa nova creature need to reassess Getz. He was a total genius.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/stan-getz-at-the-gate-live-album/

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Thanks for highlighting this, I will check it out.
I actually got to play one time with John Neves while in high school so all the more reason.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,412 Posts
Thanks, man! We're both in the 'Royal Roost' fan club. What I can hear of this set reminds of his Copenhagen days.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Checking this out right now ..... burrrrning!

I love how adventurous he gets harmonically and time-wise on this, but also playing so locked in and swinging at the same time. He ventures into territory I associate with Rollins Live at the Village Vanguard on some tunes and then follows that with the most lush, beautiful ballad just to remind you you’re still listening to “The Sound”! I’d easily put this up there with the live album with Jimmy Raney as the best Getz record I’ve heard. Great sound quality too, especially compared to Live at Birdland from the same year, same tunes, and mostly same band.

Thanks so much for posting this!

·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getz was the Michael Brecker of his day. Absolutely a prodigy. Through the early-mid 50's nobody, NOBODY (of his generation) could touch him. He reigned supreme, UNTILL Sonny Rollins and Trane showed up. But regarding his "best" Getz record... There are about 25 records that I could easily consider to be "the best Getz record," It mostly depends on my mood that day...

Checking this out right now ..... burrrrning!

I love how adventurous he gets harmonically and time-wise on this, but also playing so locked in and swinging at the same time. He ventures into territory I associate with Rollins Live at the Village Vanguard on some tunes and then follows that with the most lush, beautiful ballad just to remind you you’re still listening to “The Sound”! I’d easily put this up there with the live album with Jimmy Raney as the best Getz record I’ve heard. Great sound quality too, especially compared to Live at Birdland from the same year, same tunes, and mostly same band.

Thanks so much for posting this!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I'm a hard-core Getz freak, and this new release has me losing my mind. Don't hesitate this is pure Getz gold!!! Yeah I got my panties in a bunch over this fo sho.
GETZ. 1961 LIVE SET. At the very apex of his powers. Tempos are often insane. And he plays Impressions!!!
All you Breckerheads who think Stan was a wishy washy bossa nova creature are clueless.... ya'llreally need to reassess Getz. He was a total genius.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/stan-getz-at-the-gate-live-album/
Thanks for heads up! I'll definitely check it out.

I'm a little surprised by the unprovoked dig at Brecker, though. I probably qualify as a Breckerhead, and I know a few others who do, too, and I can't recall anybody ever having a bad thing to say about Getz.

·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry you think I took a cheap shot at Michael Brecker. There is no bigger fan of MB than me. I am basically a solid Breckerhead myself...I'm obsessed with Getz and Brecker both. Two of my short list absolute favorites.

I have however encountered young cats who have the sort of perception of Stan Getz as a wishy washy cocktail bossa nova guy. Heck, once upon a time I thought so too, then a few early Getz recordings caught my ear and I began to change my opinion. I picked up "The Sound" in a thift shop, which had Night and Day and that early 50s Roulette stuff. It didn't take me too long to realize I was listening to a genius... who was only about 23 at the time he recorded that stuff in 1951. There was no bigger fan of Getz... Than Michael Brecker. Michael worshipped Stan. I know this first hand knowledge. View attachment 238786

Thanks for heads up! I'll definitely check it out.

I'm a little surprised by the unprovoked dig at Brecker, though. I probably qualify as a Breckerhead, and I know a few others who do, too, and I can't recall anybody ever having a bad thing to say about Getz.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
He played there a shortly after Coltrane recorded his Live at the Vanguard sessions. That may have influenced the way he played on this recording, like he had something to prove.

It would have been interesting to see how his playing would have been going forward, but a few months later he released the Bossa Nova recordings so that was that.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Sorry you think I took a cheap shot at Michael Brecker. There is no bigger fan of MB than me. I am basically a solid Breckerhead myself...I'm obsessed with Getz and Brecker both. Two of my short list absolute favorites.

I have however encountered young cats who have the sort of perception of Stan Getz as a wishy washy cocktail bossa nova guy. Heck, once upon a time I thought so too, then a few early Getz recordings caught my ear and I began to change my opinion. I picked up "The Sound" in a thift shop, which had Night and Day and that early 50s Roulette stuff. It didn't take me too long to realize I was listening to a genius... who was only about 23 at the time he recorded that stuff in 1951. There was no bigger fan of Getz... Than Michael Brecker. Michael worshipped Stan. I know this first hand knowledge. View attachment 238786
No worries, bro. I think I knew what you were getting at even before you posted your explanation. I just don't want people to get the impression that if you like Brecker that means you don't like Getz.

·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ha I meant to say "that early 50's Royal Roost Stuff" ...not Roulette.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,118 Posts
It would have been interesting to see how his playing would have been going forward, but a few months later he released the Bossa Nova recordings so that was that.
Lots of fantastic stuff afterwards too, no? I like People Time as much as anything else and that was his last album.

·
4,579 Posts
Maybe he preferred playing Bossa and laying back a bit, being more melodic? Do we know for sure? I guess I could Google it.

Maybe he just wanted to show that he "could" play fast, but if he didn't prefer to then who cares?

·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes actually we do know. Getz made a bloody fortune from the Bossa Nova craze, but also felt artistically trapped by it as he was forced to play that stuff every night for many many years for his audiences. He really wanted to bust out and play more gritty, emotionally edgy and charged material, sometimes at blazing tempos, like what you hear on this record and on the Verve release Anyone Else But Me. Stan Getz was a unique genius who was always looking for new, interesting and challenging , cutting edge and modern material to tackle that would challenge him.

Maybe he preferred playing Bossa and laying back a bit, being more melodic? Do we know for sure? I guess I could Google it.

Maybe he just wanted to show that he "could" play fast, but if he didn't prefer to then who cares?

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
482 Posts
Yes actually we do know. Getz made a bloody fortune from the Bossa Nova craze, but also felt artistically trapped by it as he was forced to play that stuff every night for many many years for his audiences. He really wanted to bust out and play more gritty, emotionally edgy and charged material, sometimes at blazing tempos, like what you hear on this record and on the Verve release Anyone Else But Me. Stan Getz was a unique genius who was always looking for new, interesting and challenging , cutting edge and modern material to tackle that would challenge him.
I agree. I remember when I was a 10 year old boy in Mumbai (Bombay those days), my parents took me to hear Stan Getz who was touring India that year. This was in early 1980. Stan had a lot of fans of his bossa nova work in India, and boy was the audience surprised when he treated them to nothing but straight ahead blowing, a lot of it quite uptempo. Virtually all of Stan's later work has been of the more straight-ahead variety, especially with his last great quartet with Kenny Barron, Rufus Reid (or George Mraz) and Victor Lewis.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts