Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Well, I don't know anything about these specific mouthpieces.

You don't have any baritone chops yet. Personally, I would work on airstream and support development rather than chasing setup. I would also start out with a standard piece (HR Link: Meyer; Berg, etc.) and learn how to blow through the horn.

When you said "Looking for more power I changed mouthpieces after playing baritone for a few weeks" that set off my "weak tenor sized airstream and pinched tenor size embouchure" detector. Power on baritone sax does not come from high baffle duck call screeching buzzy mouthpieces, it comes from getting a proper breath and managing it properly. Long tones, baby.

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Well, anyway, your second piece the one with intonation problems, is pushed too far in. What you are describing is exactly what happens when the mouthpiece is pushed too far in.

I will still stand by my recommendation to go with a standard mouthpiece to develop baritone chops and airstream first. After primarily playing baritone sax for the last 35 years, personally I don't have any trouble with my ordinary Meyer mouthpiece "taking all the air I can give it". Especially on baritone, new players and younger players would be far better served in my opinion by hours in a field practicing tonal development than by chasing sound through equipment. if you don't want to believe me, listen to the Ellington band with Harry Carney, or Charlie Fowlkes or John Williams with Basie.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts