Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a christmas present I was given a second alto sax, my great great uncles who died before I was born. I love the way it plays and the tone of its low range compared to my horn, but cant find any information on it. Anyone know anything?
Serial number is 7134
Wood Gas Tints and shades Fender Metal

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
You're gonna' have to show images of more of the horn eg: the spatula table, upper stack, bell to body brace, octave mechanism so people may recognise the maker.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,895 Posts
The engraving looks indeed consistent with what often was done on Italian horns, we will see the rest, the horn shown above in the saxquest ad looks indeed as a very early Grassi .

Grassi was a brand which didn’t stencil much their horns and only ever in the beginning of their production , that one looks great at that price, despite being a simple model and an early one.

Musical instrument Reed instrument Saxophone Brass instrument Musical instrument accessory

One of the elements that concur to identify that horn as a Grassi is the decoration of the bow to body and bell connection, but OP’s hon dosn’t seem to have it .

OP’s horn has been painted (it would be too much calling it laquered ) with some “ golden” (more yellow really) paint, whatever horn this is removing that paint will be hell of a job and will never return a horn as nice at the one in the Saxquest listing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,895 Posts
again your horn has been covered by dull yellow paint , personally I would think long and very hard to restore it since it will cost a lot of money to remove the paint

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
2,134 Posts
again your horn has been covered by dull yellow paint , personally I would think long and very hard to restore it since it will cost a lot of money to remove the paint
The OP didn't mention stripping it down or anything and says that it plays well. Moreover, even if the horn does need some adjustment or repadding, the paint need not be removed to accomplish this. So as long as the OP is not interested in cosmetically restoring the instrument, your point above seems irrelevant.

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Since it looks like the only thing that was painted was the tube, it would be pretty simple to remove all the keywork and strip the paint down to bare metal with acetone. Acetone won't corrode any springs.

Then a light hand polishing and let the brass develop its own patina with time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The OP didn't mention stripping it down or anything and says that it plays well. Moreover, even if the horn does need some adjustment or repadding, the paint need not be removed to accomplish this. So as long as the OP is not interested in cosmetically restoring the instrument, your point above seems irrelevant.
horn was restored before i saw it, repadded, recorked, and adjusted. In person it mostly looks like an unvarnished horn, even though it’s probably painted. I haven’t noticed much patina, and that may be due to the paint but idk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts