Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve used Hagerty polish on my C Mel and it’s looking great. Is there a product that will maintain the finish, or will the Hagerty last? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
2,324 Posts
The finish doesn't actually contain any silver, so I'm guessing that it's the mild abrasive in the Hagerty polish that's doing most of the work. I doubt it will do much to protect the finish from oxidation though.

I use Renaissance Wax on my instruments with nickel-silver hardware and/or keywork. It seems to keep the finish intact much longer between polishings.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
4,234 Posts
Nickel silver is pretty low tarnish anyway.
Unlike actual elemental silver. Probably fine as is.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Renaissance Wax costs too much! I think I’ll just spray it with clear lacquer. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe, but after all the work of clean-up, I don’t want to take any chances of even a little clouding.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,146 Posts
Are you talking about a (silver coloured) nickel plated finish on the sax ? I have owned and seen saxes with nickel silver bodies but am not aware of that on C melodies or as a finish on top of brass.

Rhys

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Nickel silver also called "German silver" actually has no silver content. Nickel Silver. Most of the nickel silver I have come across in my instrument repair has been clarinet and saxophone keys. Rather than turning a dark color like tarnished silver, nickel silver often turns "cloudy" and is difficult to get good results by polishing by hand using metal polishes. The only method I have found that works quickly and does a nice job is Music Medic's "blue hubble" buffing compound on a soft buffing wheel. The photos below show the before and after on a set of saxophone keys.

Body jewelry Product Silver Natural material Jewellery
Body jewelry Silver Font Art Circle

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Are you talking about a (silver coloured) nickel plated finish on the sax ? I have owned and seen saxes with nickel silver bodies but am not aware of that on C melodies or as a finish on top of brass.

Rhys
My Conn New Wonder Series One has a nickel silver, (aka German Silver), finish. Quite common for the time, (1920). I will spray it with a clear lacquer, (the body, that is). I‘ve had success with this on 3 saxes which were de-lacquered to show the brass.
Musical instrument Table Wood Wind instrument Flooring
Shoe Leg Human body Musical instrument Thigh
Musical instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Font Office equipment

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,172 Posts
this horn above doesn’t appear tot have nickelsilver finish at all if not perhaps in the plating of the keys

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,680 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this horn above doesn’t appear tot have nickelsilver finish at all if not perhaps in the plating of the keys
Here’s my unfinished C Mel:
Automotive tire Automotive design Table Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,172 Posts
Now I don’t understand anything anymore

this is a nickel plated saxophone not the other pictures above, nickel needs no attention at all unless you expose it to severe oxidants

but from the state of the oxidation where it is not been treated this doesn’t look like nickel but silver plate

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
The only other C mel I've seen that looked like that was chrome plated. The part of your photo with the black tarnish definitely looks silver though. If silver, not much you can do besides polish again when it turns and use 3M tarnish paper in your case (I do this with my flute). I've never tried the wax treatment, but it apparently works according to others. It's definitely not nickel silver, which isn't silver and doesn't turn black (neither does chrome). Regardless, I would not spray with lacquer.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now I don’t understand anything anymore

this is a nickel plated saxophone not the other pictures above, nickel needs no attention at all unless you expose it to severe oxidants

but from the state of the oxidation where it is not been treated this doesn’t look like nickel but silver plate
Hi milandro! I think the pictures you are referring to are from a post above, showing my bate brass, clear lacquer coating.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is NOT "nickel silver" plating, it's NICKEL plating.
I guess I was confused ‘cause it is sometimes called German silver.🤔

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
The only thing I know of that would tarnish black like your last picture is actual silver. The key cups are usually also silver plated or nickel. Do they tarnish black, or do they just get a dull, cloudy white? If the former, they're silver, the latter is nickel.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only thing I know of that would tarnish black like your last picture is actual silver. The key cups are usually also silver plated or nickel. Do they tarnish black, or do they just get a dull, cloudy white? If the former, they're silver, the latter is nickel.
???🤔🤔😐 What is it? Nickel plate, silver plate, chrome plate?

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
4,234 Posts
The silver color of chrome plating is just nickel anyway. Chromium plating is ... clear. And shiny. And clear.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
2,324 Posts
Agree with @milandro and @lydian above: It's definitely silver plate.

Nickel plate is pretty hard-wearing and only turns sort of cloudy (not black) when it tarnishes, while nickel-silver takes on a yellowish-green haze when it tarnishes.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts