1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,560 Posts
a lot of food for thought , thanks! :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,106 Posts
Fun reading and listening. The topic of temperament came up in another recent thread here, but I can't recall offhand what it was. There were links to other readings about temperament, some said much the same as this article.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,272 Posts
Thanks for the link. Very interesting article. No mention of "just intonation" however. Hmm…

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Thanks for the link to that story! Great stuff. When I was at Mills College, as an undergrad, Lou Harrison the composer was still teaching. He taught a class on tuning systems and we each had to build a monochord and re-create ratios of 9:2, etc. etc. It was fantastic. I also remember him and his partner Bill Colvig "retuning" one of the music dept's harpsichords to various kinds of tuning systems--much to the horror of one of the faculty there. But yeah, tuning is a deep subject. Really enjoyed the article!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Get ahold of a copy of Beauty in the Beast by Wendy Carlos - some of it really sounds strange to our equally-tempered ears, but my o my those thirds are luscious!

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I took a class about this stuff in grad school. It was one of the best and hardest classes I had a chance to take. It was the only music class that required a calculator.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,272 Posts
Get ahold of a copy of Beauty in the Beast by Wendy Carlos…
Yes, a groundbreaking record, sadly out of print, but sometimes available on eBay. Also check out the Hermode tuning system. They have a website with some examples.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Interesting article. I have studied most of that before and really proves one thing. Music is not about the mathematics, it is about the emotion. Anyone who play sax intimately knows that.

I feel for keyboardists and guitarists having to deal with all of those horrid harmonics ..... :badgrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts