Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not quite sure where to post this so it's going here.

I have a pair each of Yamaha mains and stage monitors, all unpowered. I've been using them daisy-chained from the A/B on the back of my powered mixer on gigs. I want to hook up just the mains to the A/B speaker connectors and use the monitors hooked in to the front 'monitor out' 1/4" plug but it comes out pre-amp. This would be so I can actually adjust the output level of the monitors seperately from the mains.

So I'm guessing that I need to use a stand-alone pre-amp if I do this???

What do you guys suggest I look at for a pre-amp? What's going to work so I can get enough power to the monitors?

This is for a 10-piece jazz dance band so not a really loud rock set up.
Thanks

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
What you need is a power amplfier.

This brings the monitor send (output) from line level to speaker level.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
don't know what kind of mixer you have but sometimes you can split the signal, left/right, or A/B ,to use one side for mon. speakers, one for main through your pa.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I should have been a bit more specific...

The powered mixer that I have allows me to split the speakers into mains and monitors if I connect separately to the A and B speaker connections on the back of the mixer. But in doing that both the main and the monitors are controlled by the same volume control - the main volume on the front of the mixer.

Having just written the above, and thinking about the mixer inputs and controls again, I went back to the mixer and hooked up the main and monitor speakers reversed from what I usually do and - guess what - I can now control each with the specific 'main' or 'monitor' control on the mixer!!!!

Amazing what you can do when you really try. Sorry to bother everyone with what should have been obvious to me I guess.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
not a worry Ralph, the only stupid question is the one not asked. Your experience reminds me of when I was a tv news reporter, I shared a cubicle with another reporter/anchor. While writing a story, i would be searching for just the right word, I would turn to Kathy and say " kath, how do you say...?" and BAM! the perfect word would come right out of my mouth. sometimes just the process of asking reveals the answer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts