Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a spontaneous ditty from my guitarist. There is no particular form and changes in rhythm, retards, etc. just happen. 100% improv just trying to weave a counter melody and rhythm around what he's doing. Works some of the time.

http://soundcloud.com/whampton-court/magpies

Comments welcome.

Most tracks I've posted and will post have the guitar recorded on a separate track so are available on request if you wish to do your own thing with them. Only restriction is that you couldn't use them for making $$ without getting in touch with the guitarist (I can provide his details).

Cheers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,951 Posts
I like how you are countering his sorta pecky-pizzicato stuff with more sonorous, lyrical tones and phrasing.

Very cool....thanks for posting....most of your stuff I have heard was Soprano....you have a great Tenor sound.

....any impetus to actually work that up a bit more into a written song ?????

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Nice Wade...Really lovely tone on the saxophone and quite melodious!
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some dice to roll....

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Yea, I'm an equal opportunity player and divide time between nino, sop, alto and tenor. Which one is used depends on what's appropriate. Tone is very important to me since my fingers are rather slow.

Not sure about taking this piece any further (song). Sometimes I'm very satisfied with just having a fresh spontaneous tune as it can become boring (for me) if set it down too precisely. 99.9% of what I play is without reference to written music or charts. It's a matter of getting inspired by what's heard and then trying to put something together with it that at minimum compliments, but more often brings out a defined melody. It is totally improvised, but not in the mainstream sense of playing variations on a set tune to show off one's chops. My focus is on the sound and entire feeling generated rather than on myself as a stand-alone improviser.

Mike, keep those dice rolling! Hopefully sometime soon we will hear the results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts