Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know whether it's a star or a cross on Martin's Magnas? I googled to the best of my abilities but came up with diddley. Also, do the baritone necks have it or do people just add them?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,357 Posts
I’d say it is a star, I am not sure about the baritone all others have it too

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On baritones, I have seen some necks like this and some that are the same as the Committee III necks

Not sure if that's an aftermarket star/cross

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I admit I prefer it to be a star, but in the back of my head I wonder what the intent of the manufacturer was. Thought there might be a possibility someone knew someone whose grandparent worked there and one of those someones knows the answer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,984 Posts
Its a star. 'Magna' is Latin and means 'great or 'mighty'. The Magna symbol on a Martin is a form of a rather common star symbol. Now imagine you connect all eight points around the star and then you'll see the exact Magna symbol.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,005 Posts
It is Excaliber.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its a star. 'Magna' is Latin and means 'great or 'mighty'. The Magna symbol on a Martin is a form of a rather common star symbol. Now imagine you connect all eight points around the star and then you'll see the exact Magna symbol.

Wow I never would have thought of that. The connecting the points thing, google already told me about the mighty great Latin thing. In any case, I like it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,984 Posts
Yeah, and I could have connected the points myself if I had a decent graphics program or perhaps knew better how to use what I have.:(

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've always thought it was a cross. To me this is a beautiful and important symbol and I prefer this to a star even though a star is also a beautiful symbol.
Every store that I've seen selling these has written "cross" in the description. So I've always thought that this was the right answer to this questions.
But I don't know what the company thought when making them. I think it's up to the eyes of the spectator's to decide.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,357 Posts
one can read what one wants in this or any other symbol but I think that, despite the fact that unless one finds a document from the company saying this is a “ star” or a “ cross” , it is speculation.

However , at the time when this was going on, star treck was too and they use a similar but inverted “ star”. Again, one may argue but I find it difficult to think that a secular company would use a cross . True there are many saxophones showing a David’s Star ( which is, in fact, David’s shield) or Magen David despite the fact that there was no Jewish connection whatsoever (that question has been asked before).

another thought, if there is a reason to show a star “ shooting” there aren’t too many “ shooting “ crosses that I am aware of in art or logos

BY the way 🖖

Reactions: zapatista
1 - 13 of 13 Posts