Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there are a couple of threads here on 'Maestro' cases as they're sold on the eBay, and other cases that are sold by 'houstonbrass' or 'violinking' (they're all the same seller). I was watching an alto case on eBay, definitely NOT a Walt Johnson case, but relatively the same type of construction. The auction ended and I decided to email the seller maestrocase using the @aol email that I found in one of the older threads, here. I asked for a fiberglass case with key-twist catches and aluminum valance. They sent me photos of a case that matched that description, but had a different body shape that resembled a Walt Johnson.

Anyway, I pulled the trigger and bought it for $95 + $25 shipping. It came in 2 days. It's a Walt Johnson, but must be a factory second or a back-of-the-truck special. The Walt Johnson nameplate has been painted over, but you can clearly see the outline of the WJ logo and info underneath the black paint. I believe someone else here also ordered one and got what they thought was a factory second or something.

The only thing that was wrong with the case was that it was kind of dirty, a couple of the metal feet have small rust spots, and there's a couple places on the padding inside that you can see some glue where the padding has pulled away a little bit. I've heard new Walt Johnson cases described as being in worse conditions than this. Also, it fits my horn perfectly.

Anyway, just a heads up. Walt Johnson case for 120 bucks. Nameplate painted over, a little glue showing inside. Not a bad deal.

Alternatively, it could just be a copy that they painted the logo over to avoid lawsuit, but if it is, it's a really really good copy. The latches are solid, valance fits perfectly, padding is open cell foam but pretty dense - this case is a tank.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I bought an alto one, a few years ago from them for $85. Mine says Walt Johnson on it.
It works great, holding up fine. It is the same case.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts