Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas or info about this new brand? I am pretty sure it is a Chinese brand and I've never held one in my hands but there are (or have been) a few in the hands of some well known Dutch horn players (they would be able to play anything really...)just out of curiosity......

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
In the US there is a Maestro brand out of Houston sold on ebay by maestrocase, violinking and fastsale123. These are from mainland China.

Registered
they are pretty cheap like $400 brand new, but they play pretty nice. Only reallllllllllllllllllllllly bad thing is that you cant get any broken parts fixed. [ i know this because i just got one ]

Distinguished SOTW Member
they are pretty cheap like $400 brand new, but they play pretty nice. Only reallllllllllllllllllllllly bad thing is that you cant get any broken parts fixed. [ i know this because i just got one ]
Why can't you? I have a couple (previously three) horns from mainland China, and none of the three have parts that would be particularly difficult to replace. Some of the multi-posts (like those on the pinky cluster) appear to be specific to the horn, but that's true of any manufacturer.

Is it the case that some shops still refuse to work on "cheap" horns? If so, take the work somewhere else! My experience is that while there are some crap Chinese horns out there, a tech cannot throw out the baby with the bathwater and just refuse them all! Many of them are good to excellent.

Banned
Why can't you? I have a couple (previously three) horns from mainland China, and none of the three have parts that would be particularly difficult to replace. Some of the multi-posts (like those on the pinky cluster) appear to be specific to the horn, but that's true of any manufacturer.

Is it the case that some shops still refuse to work on "cheap" horns? If so, take the work somewhere else! My experience is that while there are some crap Chinese horns out there, a tech cannot throw out the baby with the bathwater and just refuse them all! Many of them are good to excellent.
What do you think of Chinese vs. Taiwan as far as horns are concerned. I beleive there is an underlying opinion that China has some way to go ?

Registered
The gentleman at my music store said they couldnt because the parts are to hard to get ahold of....he says it takes MONTHS and its just not worth it for such a cheap horn

Registered
The gentleman at my music store said they couldnt because the parts are to hard to get ahold of....he says it takes MONTHS and its just not worth it for such a cheap horn
Gag me with a large spoon. But then, again, I have never ordered a replacement part from the factory for any horn, ever. If it costs nearly as much to replace a single part, and takes 6 months to get it, and they send you the wrong part anyway, then, your Chinese sax is disposable. Better buy a new one for the same price, and then you'll have a mess o' spare parts for the old one. That's the answer. Whenever you buy a sax for less than $500, buy two, one for parts!

Registered
Gag me with a large spoon. But then, again, I have never ordered a replacement part from the factory for any horn, ever. If it costs nearly as much to replace a single part, and takes 6 months to get it, and they send you the wrong part anyway, then, your Chinese sax is disposable. Better buy a new one for the same price, and then you'll have a mess o' spare parts for the old one. That's the answer. Whenever you buy a sax for less than $500, buy two, one for parts!

and thats exactly why he says its a waste of time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts