Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all you Keilwerth experts. I'm considering purchasing an SX 90 soprano with a serial # of 101xxx (circa 1995 or1996) according to some charts I've seen. It is a straight one piece body with neck permanently attached. It has the adjustable palm keys and some nice quality engraving. The only thing missing are the words" Made in Germany" near the thumb rest or neck strap ring or anywhere else that I can see. It doesn't appear to be a cheap knockoff since it is very intricate in the construction- lots of details. Is this a real Keilwerth or some kind of fake? Do all SX 90's say" Made in Germany?" Do they forget to put the words on once in awhile? lol. It plays flawlessly, in tune top to bottom. It has the official looking Keilwerth engravings. Any thoughts or info would be helpful. Thanks

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
Pics would help. The shape of the posts is the easiest way to tell. Look at some pics on Ebay and you will see what I mean. Its a detail I have never seen copied. Check the adjustable palm keys. Are they designed the same as a real Keilwerth? I have an Eastman with adjustable palm keys, but totally different design.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Looking further in my records all horns I've had later than 106xxx do say made in Germany. All Coufs say Made in West Germany.
Perhaps this is related to the reunification?

·
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Saxcop: The larger posts are thinner at top , v out to a thicker center, and from the thicker center they v or angle down to a thinner diameter. I can't at the moment supply pictures. I've seen that shape post on some Keilwerths for sale on this website. Thanks for your help.

·
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just looked at an SX-90R tenor I have here for sale, a 1009xx and no Germany stamp either.
That's encouraging. Also, does your horn have the older style left hand pinky key cluster like the Couf Superba 1 has? ( not like the Mark V1 tilting spatula type). Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts