Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting this, you can probably see I am in High School, and I have several questions about this band. Is this really worth trying out for? How hard is it to get accepted? If anyone knows, it'll be a great help

·
Registered
802 Posts
I don't think any marching band is worth trying out for for saxophone.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why do you think that?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,209 Posts
Don't listen to Chunsoo.. If it sounds like fun you should look into it. It could be a really great experience.

Back when I was your age... Geeze I sound OLD... Anyway, when I was in High School they had the McDonalds HS Marching Band. Kids from every state in the US.
I always wanted to audition, but couldn't afford the travel expenses. In retrospect I'm glad that I didn't. The uniforms were freakin' BUTT UGLY.

I did get accepted into the Lions Club All-State Band for Michigan in 1979. We marched in the parade for the Lions Club National Convention in Montreal Canada. It was one of the best 'musical' experiences I've ever had. So many good players, so many really nice people, and the uniform wasn't ugly!

·
Registered
469 Posts
A guy in our band made it into the Army All-American band. The news reporters came in and caught everything on camera and interviewed the guy. It was an honour for him to be there.

·
19,209 Posts
A guy in our band made it into the Army All-American band. The news reporters came in and caught everything on camera and interviewed the guy. It was an honour for him to be there.
Maybe....
But nothing beats your daughter being in the BAND FLIGHT FOR THE US AIR FORCE!!!
THAT is an honor.
Sorry... Proud Mommy moment... My oldest daughter is an Airman.
I'll go away now!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Maybe....
But nothing beats your daughter being in the BAND FLIGHT FOR THE US AIR FORCE!!!
THAT is an honor.
Sorry... Proud Mommy moment... My oldest daughter is an Airman.
I'll go away now!
Hey, the Airforce band is awesome. I've thought about auditioning for that.

·
19,209 Posts
Start practicing now!
The 'Band Flight' is only during Basic Training. They perform at Graduation Ceremonies. They also kick butt during 'drill competitons'. On average, 50% of the flight squad have been members of Marching Band.
No woodwinds. Just brass and drums.
My daughter is a killer sax and clarinet player. She was put on bass drum and was bored out of her mind, but was VERY proud to contribute her talents.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey I just made it into Great All American Marching Band for this years Macy's parade! I'm really excited! Definately try out though. I think it's going to be a great experience. I'll let you know how my experience was of you want! just make sure you audition early if you want to do it. Spots for sax fill up quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts