Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this doesn't open a can of worms....it is a review about a saxophone, please respect that & don't hijack!

I will post some Youtube vids once I recover from the flu!

Magnum Tenor review

Delivery

Having ordered four saxophones from the US, this being the second from MACSAX. I have to say how pleased I am by the process. MACSAX are very clear with their communications and the ordering process is very smooth. Delivery to the UK is by FedEx, and I am VERY impressed with them too. The horns take less than a week (4 working days) to travel from Texas to Belfast, which provided they sit in customs clearance for @ least 24 hours is superb! In contrast to this I’ve ordered many things from England (apparently the same country aside from a stretch of water) and they can take over ten days to reach me!

Packing & First Impressions

The sax was professionally packed and all the packing cork was in the correct places. The the horn looked and felt fantastic. My first impression of the horn was how well the ergonomics (palm key placement, lower stack keys etc) had been planned out and allowed my fingers to glide across the horn. The palm keys were in an especially tidy position compared to older saxophones such as the Mark VI, and even better than a Yamaha or Yanigisawa.

Sound, the most important bit!

Firstly, I should mention what I’m after. I own a Selmer Balanced Action, which I purchased in preference to a Mark VI as the BA was more suited to my sound concept for jazz. However, since moving to Northern Ireland, (having played predominately jazz in London & Manchester prior to my move,) the vast majority of my gigs require me to be a bit more versatile stylistically. The Magnum is certainly versatile, extremely responsive and has flawless intonation. This is vital to me (& everyone else)! as some of the soul bands with which I play, require a screaming altissimo A to start a some of the solos! The Magnum responds with ease, clarity and precision. Likewise when ‘subbing’ in the Bari parts the bottom end kicks through a horn section, without punching out the PA! On the first gig I played with the Magnum, the other members of the horn section were astounded by clarity and warmness of the sound!

Summary

The best endorsement I can give the Magnum is that I am going to shelve my Balanced Action for all but the smokiest jazz gigs. The Magnum is an incredible saxophone, and at it’s current price offers excellent value for money. Assimilate this with the superb customer service from Mike & his team at MACSAX, the fast and efficient delivery to Europe by his courier, and you are onto a winner. I have no hesitation in recommended the MACSAX Magnum to anyone, whether seasoned pro, advanced student or just starting out!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the review Dan!

I'm always happy whenever a player finds a horn he or she really enjoys- no matter what the brand!

Back when Mike C posted the link to the youtube to the back-to-back playing of "Stella by Starlight" between the Mark VI and the Magnum, I didn't think the latter sounded bad at all, at least with what I could discern from the camcorder quality audio...

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Get well, Dan.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Congratulations.

May you post a photo or 2 when you have a minute? Reading the site, I am still confused about how the 2 finishes of the Magnum look like, so I'd be curious to see at least yours in "real world photos".

Do you prefer it to your MAC20?

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,048 Posts
What a great review, thanks for the post.

The Archihouli horns do it again!

B:cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,587 Posts
I see that these horns are to be offered in a lacquer finish ("dark vintage") - Dan, did you get a lacquer finish, comments on fit and finish work?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dan, that's a very encouraging review. Would you mind posting a few pictures of the new horn as well?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts