Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than Steve Neff’s review - anybody here playing one of these? Can you make comparisons to the P Mauriat 67 rul or the Eastman 52nd St altos? OR - what the heck! To any other alto you have or have had! Thanks.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,799 Posts
Other than Steve Neff’s review - anybody here playing one of these? Can you make comparisons to the P Mauriat 67 rul or the Eastman 52nd St altos? OR - what the heck! To any other alto you have or have had! Thanks.
I'm not sure these are even made anymore. i have a student that needs a better alto and reached out to Macsax to see if I could get him a good deal on one and they never even responded to me. I don't really see them around for sale either..........I thought it was a killer alto! Wish I had bought the one I reviewed.......

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I'm not sure these are even made anymore. i have a student that needs a better alto and reached out to Macsax to see if I could get him a good deal on one and they never even responded to me. I don't really see them around for sale either..........I thought it was a killer alto! Wish I had bought the one I reviewed.......
Isn't Macsax the company basically dead? This was discussed a bit in the recent thread about Macsax mouthpieces. The mouthpiece inventory apparently was liquidated. The current Macsax website lists no saxophones whatsoever, and shows only "Sold Out" mouthpieces as the company's products. If Macsax is still a going concern, it's just a shell of its former self.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,799 Posts
Isn't Macsax the company basically dead? This was discussed a bit in the recent thread about Macsax mouthpieces. The mouthpiece inventory apparently was liquidated. The current Macsax website lists no saxophones whatsoever, and shows only "Sold Out" mouthpieces as the company's products. If Macsax is still a going concern, it's just a shell of its former self.
That's why I said I didn't think these were made anymore..............

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
They aren’t being made anymore. Great horns, though. If you want something in that price range and killer please call Ken Beason. He knows those horns inside and out. I’m sure he could find you one.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Actually I was speaking with Ken last week or so and he was working on an Empyreal alto that I believe was going to be for sale, probably a good time to give him a call.

·
Premium Member
15,495 Posts
Macsax is no longer selling their own mouthpieces and saxophones. They are making the mouthpieces for my company, Saxquest, and retro revival. Between the three of us, they are a very busy company. :)
They are going as strong as ever, but have just changed their business plan to simplify things for themselves.

I have had both their altos and tenor’s, and both played great. I liked the alto the best.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,076 Posts
Thank you for the info, Mark! I didn't realize they were phasing out horns, too, but I heard their new machinist is making some pretty incredible mouthpiece blanks, so it makes sense that they'd shift to a business-to-business model. They're good people so I definitely support them making things easier for themselves and I hope they stay successful!

If you can find an Empyreal on the used market, it'll probably be a ton of horn for the price. Ken Beason did a phenomenal job putting them together and setting them up, and the materials seem very solid.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've been playing an Empyreal alto for the last 10 years. Incredibly I have replaced no pads and fixed very few leaks during this time. I chose to remain playing this alto over my Selmer Series II and Buffett S1. It's a great sax so good luck during the hunt.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Macsax Empyreal and tenor are still very much alive and well! Sam Bass Music has the full line for demo or purchase.
Address: 802 Brandi Ln, Round Rock, TX 78681
Phone: (512) 246-9845
Kent Winking the owner is a master sax tech as well.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Macsax Empyreal and tenor are still very much alive and well! Sam Bass Music has the full line for demo or purchase.
Address: 802 Brandi Ln, Round Rock, TX 78681
Phone: (512) 246-9845
Kent Winking the owner is a master sax tech as well.
I just checked SAM BASS online site and there are no instruments listed under alto or tenor sax. Just FYI.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Macsax Empyreal and tenor are still very much alive and well!
What does that mean? That some leftover inventory is available? You aren't still having these instruments manufactured and imported, are you?

I just checked SAM BASS online site and there are no instruments listed under alto or tenor sax. Just FYI.
Yes, that was mentioned in another thread discussing the state of Macsax, and I guess nothing has changed. Perhaps you're expected to call the store to ask about these horns. I don't understand the coyness involved here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,387 Posts
I hope all the buzz is accurate. I just bought one off ebay for 1700. They are around. K (alto) I have a Macsax curved sop I love K

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hope all the buzz is accurate. I just bought one off ebay for 1700. They are around. K (alto) I have a Macsax curved sop I love K
Let me know when you’ve decided how good yours is. I started this thread I believe - and I too bought one on eBay, that had had the full $600 Beason set up. It’s in beautiful shape but had been played pretty hard for four years and I wasn’t getting as much as I thought I should from it. So it’s at Ken Beason’s for a cleaning and tune up - he said it was leaky as hell. So. If I like it more than my 1933 Buescher I’ll keep it! If I don’t, the next person will get an amazing Macsax Empyreal alto with a 6 month warranty! I’m a lousy alto player so I never believe my evaluation of an instrument is very meaningful.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,387 Posts
I've talked to a few people that tried them at Namm shows and liked them alot. Jazz if you are lousy why don't you take some lessons? many good Skype teachers on this site and many good local teachers around you im sure. its much more fun when you have help. K

1 - 18 of 18 Posts