Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recorded a quick and dirty take of 'Mack The Knife' for a German saxophone TOTM thread.

I did have laying around a backing track recorded with the Big Band I play first tenor in. We normally play this as a feature for our female Singer and recorded this some years ago without voice, just for her to practice the song.

I now did use it as a tenor feature, so new for me to play it as a soloist. The first three choruses of the song are in F, the next one in Gb, followed by one in G and the last one in Ab (all concert key, for tenor it's G, Ab, A and Bb).

The tenor track sounds distorted, I still have some 'bleeding'issues with my new laptop and old USB mic, especially when I play very loud (which was the case in this home recording).

- 'Mack The Knife' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2) - Q Big Band backing:
https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=13766037

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Guitar and saxophone
420 Posts
Lots of energy! And projection! I’m in my recliner watching tv this time of night (8:00 PM Pacific) with my wife but browse SOTW on my iPad. I came across your post and plugged in my Apple ear buds to give it a listen and not disturb the wife. I clicked on the link and next thing I know, my wife’s waving the remote in time to the song.
“You can hear that?” I said.
“Loud and clear,” she replied.

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks zelda. :)

Nice story behind the listening experience and I'm glad your wife didn't throw the remote towards you (could have been an option)! :bluewink:

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Guitar and saxophone
420 Posts
Not a chance! She was born in 1963 but she knows and likes these tunes. I practise in the basement and she’s heard me playing this song. She may have been thinking, upon hearing you play: “So this is how it should be played by a saxophone player!”
:/)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi,

Verry impressive!

I´m also working on this TOTM but I have issues with the recording.

Regards

Michael

I just recorded a quick and dirty take of 'Mack The Knife' for a German saxophone TOTM thread.

I did have laying around a backing track recorded with the Big Band I play first tenor in. We normally play this as a feature for our female Singer and recorded this some years ago without voice, just for her to practice the song.

I now did use it as a tenor feature, so new for me to play it as a soloist. The first three choruses of the song are in F, the next one in Gb, followed by one in G and the last one in Ab (all concert key, for tenor it's G, Ab, A and Bb).

The tenor track sounds distorted, I still have some 'bleeding'issues with my new laptop and old USB mic, especially when I play very loud (which was the case in this home recording).

- 'Mack The Knife' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2) - Q Big Band backing:
https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=13766037

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not a chance! She was born in 1963 but she knows and likes these tunes. I practise in the basement and she’s heard me playing this song. She may have been thinking, upon hearing you play: “So this is how it should be played by a saxophone player!”
:/)
Thanks again zelda. :)

My lady is from 1964, but she doesn't really like and appreciate Jazz (but that's not the reason I can't play at home).

Hi,

Verry impressive!

I´m also working on this TOTM but I have issues with the recording.

Regards

Michael
Thanks Michael. :)

Keep on working on it and don't be shy to post your result (even if you're not totally happy with it, which is also very often the case for me).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Very nice Peter.
I was going to make some knife jokes like "plenty of edge" or "you really cut through".
But I decided against it.
I will say that I'm glad you had a "stab" at it.:)

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Nick. :)

Plenty of edge for sure with the old and a bit too soft reed I used, which gave some issues in control and intonation. But I for sure enjoyed the result, considering that it was recorded after about 4 weeks without playing.

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By the way, I just did update the track and mixed a bit more backing in and did put a small amount of reverb on the sax only track.

It's now a bit less edgy and strident (I hope!).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts