Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what tenor mouthpiece Maceo was using when he was with James Brown circa "In the Jungle Groove" ?
I'm intrigued with his tone and solo on "Funky Drummer".

ps...I'm just curious, not trying to sound like him, so let's dispense with the "just play long tones" replies :)

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,779 Posts
I have only seen two photos of him playing tenor. One m/p was black and one was white. Both were HR or plastic m/p's. They may have been Brilharts since that is what he uses on alto. Just a possibility based on this interview.

http://www.maceo-parker.com/interviewsax.html

How about your mouthpiece and set up? What is that comprised of?

Maceo: I'm using the same type of mouthpiece that I started with, although it's not the same one. My pet pet, baby baby, pet pet, got broken when it fell off an organ, but I have one that's similar. It's a Brilhart Ebonite #3 with just a stock ligature. Again, that's just because I started with that, and it's what my high school band director was playing. He didn't use a Berg Larson, or anything fancy. That was it; I was just trying to pattern after him. I mean, whatever came with the horn was cool. (laughs)

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have only seen two photos of him playing tenor. One m/p was black and one was white. Both were HR or plastic m/p's. They may have been Brilharts since that is what he uses on alto...
Thanks John !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts