Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"I’m just trying to see if I can make that alto sound better (laughs). That’s my primary function now. I listen to some of those early recordings and I think “wow, that really sounds OK” – I’m not quite sure if I can duplicate that sound today, like I did 8, 9, 10 years ago. I do know this, the mouthpiece that I was playing back then died on me. I’ve been searching to find another one. The one I’m playing now is close but it’s not really in and the only way I can really tell is by listening to those old recordings.

What happened was, during one of my concerts, I don’t know why, I took the saxophone apart and set the two pieces down on the tone cabinet of the organ. At the time, the guy was playing a smooth thing and it didn’t vibrate. I was over on the other side of the stage, and the guy changed his stuff and the Leslie cabinet started to vibrate and I saw the mouthpiece making its way to the edge. I saw there was no point trying to get over there and, bam, it hit the floor! Ever since then, I must have gone through hundreds and hundreds of mouthpieces to duplicate the sound. I can’t do it but I’m close."

source: interview

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
I must have gone through hundreds and hundreds of mouthpieces to duplicate the sound.
I wonder if they were all Brilhart Ebolin mpcs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
I bet the keyboard player was getting frustrated at Maceo setting stuff on his Leslie cabinet.

Any lessons learned???

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
yup I went to his website and it still says he's on the Brilhart Ebolin 3 and a Vandoren JAVA Green 3.5

·
2,319 Posts
Maybe he thought he was playing a Brilhart but accidently played the Claude Lakey since they both have white bite plates. Apparently Maceo hasn't been visiting SOTW where everyone knows it's the player, not the mouthpiece.:)

·
5,092 Posts
It's the player AND the mouthpiece! :D I know you were joking, but I think that advice is usually given to beginning/intermediate students who still have a long way to go before subtle differences between mouthpieces with the same concept will make a big difference. I mean, obviously a DG paint peeler will sound hugely different from a stock STM to anyone, but 10 different takes on the STM may or may not have such a profound difference, and a beginning student won't know which one would ultimately suit his/her concept.

In Maceo's case, he's developed a world-class personal sound, so obviously every little setup tweak is going to be noticed by him!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I got to see Maceo at the High Sierra Music Festival this year in Quincy and man he was great. I was pretty close too and noticed his mouthpiece. I don't think he plays a Lakey, but I guess that's already been confirmed. But man, so far I've had the opportunity to see two of my favorite sax players live. Maceo Parker and Karl Denson. They were both really good shows. :)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
i gave him the piece he's playing now....i actually gave him 3 pieces when his old one broke.........i never sounded as good as he does on it!!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so is it a normal Brilhart WEbolin3 or a 3*?

I think he played a Personaline back then and one can indeed hear the difference....the Personaline ones are extremely rare these days ;-(

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,798 Posts
It's the player AND the mouthpiece! :D I know you were joking, but I think that advice is usually given to beginning/intermediate students who still have a long way to go before subtle differences between mouthpieces with the same concept will make a big difference. I mean, obviously a DG paint peeler will sound hugely different from a stock STM to anyone, but 10 different takes on the STM may or may not have such a profound difference, and a beginning student won't know which one would ultimately suit his/her concept.

In Maceo's case, he's developed a world-class personal sound, so obviously every little setup tweak is going to be noticed by him!
I know in my case, I played a Sugal Super Gonz I in the 90's. I had a connection to that mouthpiece. I loved my sound and I was in Nirvana just playing my tenor and listening to my own sound. Since then I have tried a bunch of killer mouthpieces but I know for a fact that I haven't found that connection yet that I had with that piece. It was like it was just and extension of myself. I didn't have to find my sound on it. I just blew and my sound came out. I did some killer gigs on that piece. The connection a player has with a piece and a sound is a big deal. The audience might not be able to notice but the player does.

·
1,813 Posts
This reminds me of a story I was told back around 2003 in a sax shop in Raleigh, N.C. I had just bought my Buescher 400 tenor there; they had some nice vintage horns and mouthpieces in stock. I had been looking for a Brilhart Ebolin alto piece & asked the owner if they had any; he said something like "we used to have a bunch, but Maceo Parker bought most of them and asked us to call him if we came across any more". Don't know if that was before or after his 'piece got busted.

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
I read in a Japanese sax mag recently that the current piece he plays is a Personaline S4 that he found in Japan while on tour. Who knows!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts