Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read some different things about the Mark VIIs and from what I've gathered, some Mark VIIs had an "M" prefix before the serial number. I've heard from one source that the "M" means that horn has a Mark VI body with Mark VII keywork. Is this true? If so, are there only M-prefixes on earlier Mark VIIs, or did Selmer do this inconsistantly throughout the serial number range? Thanks,

-Kevin

·
Registered
88 Posts
M prefix

The M before the serial number changed to N later in the run, probably the late 70's. I think the N is now before the number on all newer Selmers. The M supposedly is for the VI body tube, only Selmer really knows for sure; when they were used up it the prefix went to N...is how the story goes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I reckon we find out more!! Post your serial numbers including the prefix (for no real reason but i would be interested in narrowing down when they changed over).

Alto - M256XXX

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: M prefix

Phantom 7 said:
The M supposedly is for the VI body tube, only Selmer really knows for sure; when they were used up it the prefix went to N...is how the story goes.
My tenor is a N289xxx
What is the difference between an M and a N body tube, and if the newer Selmers have N serials, does that mean they have late edition VII body tubes?

·
Registered
88 Posts
body tubes

...or maybe the late VII's have the early Super Action 80 tubes; it's a question for Selmer, one that's been asked here before with no satisfactory answer. I would like to know too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Alto MK VII M258XXX Silver plate great horn. I compared it to a MK VI and the body tube seemed the same. the only key difference was the Eb and low C keys look different. The left G# cluster is the same as the VI is.

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
942 Posts
Soprano: N266XXX
Alto: M240XXX
Tenor: M198XXX
Bari: 147XXX

All of these are Mark VIs by the way.

There are so many rumours about Selmer horns out there, it is pretty much impossible to distinguish between fact and fiction...For example, one thing I've heard in the past is that the "M" got added when they moved their factory to Mantes. But then where does the "N" come from? Is there in fact any truth to this rumour? Who knows? :?

·
Registered
88 Posts
there is one who may know

it's my understanding from some old threads that Ralph Morgan worked for Selmer during those years (transition from VI to VII), perhaps he could give us an answer on the body & bore question if anyone knows how to contact him.

·
Registered
282 Posts
At one time Mr Morgan did state that the 'M' tubes were MkVI, and the 'N' tubes weren't.
He did not elaborate on what the letters stood for.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,337 Posts
as i recall, on the alto/tenor horns, the 'M' to 'N' switch
occurred around 270,000 or so...i personally had a 277,xxx
horn back then that was an 'N' model, and from watching
ebay & other forums, most(or all) of the 26x,000 horns
are 'M' and some or all of the 27x,000 horns are 'N'.

Since overlap occurs on new models issued, i suppose it's
possible someone may have a very late Mark VI horn that
has a serial > 270,000 (maybe special order, etc), but
in day-to-day situations, this is probably a good starting
point on the serial number switchover.

·
Registered
88 Posts
hmmm

I've never seen a VI alto or tenor past 240xxx, but with the overlap in serial numbers it wouldn't surprise me. The VII tenors seem to be making quite a come back on ebay these days, wish I had bought one back when they were less; my old YTS 61 sounds pretty darn good though. (however, there's always room for another horn.) :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mk VII tenor...s/n M241xxx. Has anyone else noticed that the VIIs seem to be quite a bit heavier than the VIs? If it's true that the 'M' VIIs have the same body tube as the VIs, there must be come heavy keywork to account for the weight difference. I think it was someone here who said VIIs play great, but they're like having a battleship hanging on your neck.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think a lot of the weight difference between the VI and VII, if the body tubes are indeed the same, comes from the construction. The VII has a lot heavier rib construction where the posts that attach the keys to the body are apart of larger plates that encompass many posts. Since more than one post can be attached at one time, a simpler manufacturing process is achieved. The VI had fewer ribs and more posts were soldered directed to the body.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The "N." could be an abbreviation for "Nombre", the French word for "number". Perhaps "M." was an abbreviation for another French word that Selmer used earlier instead of "Nombre".

·
Registered
88 Posts
M & N's

:lol: I really don't think it matters that much, if you've got a good MKVII enjoy it, I do mine. For the record mine's an alto, M255XXX, dark honey gold lacquer with full American flower engraving. I have discovered that a sterling silver Serie III neck is an awesome addition to the horn. (think these necks are an exact copy of the VI neck) I still use my orig. VII neck on occasion, but it has a different taper and bore that gives a thick, spread sound. The silver neck is more focused and much sweeter, even more so than a late VI neck I use to use. VII's are versatile horns and have very good intonation, good Selmer core sound. Some folks just don't like the keywork, especially VI players. The 7 tenors seem to really be selling on ebay these days, guess they've been "re-discovered". I'm a big fan of Selmers, but as with any of em I always advise trying the horn before you buy, some are always better than others regardless of the model.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hi, I've been lurkin around here for a while.

I have an M284,XXX alto, so the post 270,XXX is out.

Who knows what they mean... but I love my alto, so I don't really care.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts