Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a G4M alto - I found an old Vocaltone Streamline mouthpiece in my spares box and thought - "This might sound good" - But when I came to fit it on, the mouthpiece won't even go on the neck. In outside diameter of the mouthpiece is virtually the same as the outside diameter of the actual neck end !
There's no way around this problem that I can see, but if I order a new metal mouthpiece, is it at all likely to have the same problem ? - What is it that isn't "standard" here, the mouthpiece fitting or my sax's neck diameter ?
I've just ordered a Sharkbite m/p for my G4M tenor. I hope this fits.
Richard

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,269 Posts
Are you sure that mouthpiece is for an alto?

I've experienced a barrel's internal diameter being too big for my neck corks on soprano and alto, but never as you described. I'm betting your alto's neck is okay (most altos from Taiwan - and that's the country of origin, I'm guessing) are computer copies of famous-brand saxophones. The necks should be okay. DAVE

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had another go at it - I can just get the thing to start on the neck. That's as far as I dare go. The neck has a rim around the end. It's this that's a very tight fit on the mouthpiece shank. There's not enough thickness of metal on the shank to ream anything off the inside of it. The metal on the sax neck is half as thick again as the mouthpiece end, but it's the rim that's causing the trouble. Not worth trying to force it on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/MKVII fanatic/Forum Cont
1,211 Posts
it happens, I picked up a sm chamber Vandoren V16 alto piece off ebay a while back, and the chamber was too small to fit on the neck of my MK7 using both orig & Ser III neck.....gave it away. production error?

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
AG

You just gave away a $100 mouthpiece for nothing. Vandoren makes puts that squeeze in there for tuning because the chamber is so small. If you played it with a tuner, you would have noticed that it would play in tune where it sits (and sometimes its sharp with that).

There should be a warning in the box, but hey... If it plays why question it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts