Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,333 Posts
Re: Lyon Healy stencil

The tone holes are not straight they are a little angled at the top. The serial number has a A on the top then 12909 in the middle and then a L on the bottom.
I don't know about the tone holes, but the serial number layout screams Conn... unless those hybrid horns copped that too.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,058 Posts

The tone holes are not straight they are a little angled at the top. The serial number has a A on the top then 12909 in the middle and then a L on the bottom. I will get a few more pictures, one of the engraving especially here shortly. It doesn't say la porte on it anywhere that i can find. All it says is Lyon healy in fancy script with -inf under that.. and then it says american professional chicago in regular script on it. The engraving itself is just a floral looking thing with the words inside a "Frame"
Yes, if it says 'Chicago' then it won't say LaPorte - this is L&H's other style, their American Professional, Martin-style fin/bevelled-toneholes/neck, and Conn style low-C guard.

Here it is in a C-Mel size -
http://csax.net/saxophones/gallery/lyonhealy-own-amerprof-cmel.htm

There is a member here, LaPorte who - I believe, from the name - is researching Lyon & Healy, you might want to PM him.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

cool thanks cmelodysax.. you guys have been a big help.. i know this thing isn't worth much money.. I actually took it out and played it a bit today.. it is in playable condition.. i found someone that might want to buy it.. just wish i knew a year that it was made.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I am trying to find more information on the saxophone that i have had in my family for years and years. I know for sure it is a lyon healy stencil but i'm not sure who the original maker of it is. ...
It has a lyon healy engraving on the bell that is a very simple floralish pattern. The serial number is 12909 which i also could not find any information on. If anyone could help me find a year on this or how much it might be worth i would be greatful
This alto saxophone was made by the Couturier Band Instrument Company spring 1924 just when Lyon &Healy was going to take over this Company. No stencil.

Lyon & Healy was headquartered in Chicago. That's why the engraving says 'Chicago', not 'LaPorte' where the saxophone was made. Since april 1924 the Couturier band Instrument Company was officially subsidiary of L&H which conducted the affairs since january 1924.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
is it worth anything? i'm glad for the information
Commonly being mistaken for a martin stencil pasted with a Conn low C keyguard (imagine that absurdity!) the current value ranges from ca. 150 to 250$. But things seem to change gradually.

For me personally one of the greatest saxophones ever made.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
The following timeline may help to classify your Lyon & Healy saxophone (yours in blue letters):

Timeline of Couturier related saxophones

1. Made by Couturier November 1922 - September 1923

- Distributors: Couturier, Gretsch, Whaley Royce - Canada

2. Receivership October 1923 - March 1924

2.1 Lyon&Healy 'American Professional'
2.2 'American Professional' I
2.3 'Inspiration'

3. Lyon&Healy April 1924 - March 1928

3.1 'Couturier Model' April 1924 - 1925
3.2 'American Professional' II
3.3 'Artist Model' series I 1925 - 1926
3.4 'Artist Model' series IIa/IIb 1926 - March 1928

4. Holton Era April 1928 - March1930

4.1 Lyon&Healy Artist Model series IIb, series III made by Holton
4.2 Collegiate I
4.3 Beaufort American

5. Elkhart Band Instrument Company April 1930 - 1931/32

5.1 The Couturier-Elkhart Model

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,058 Posts

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
And they also had the same serial number layout as Conn with the A above and L (or H) below?
That's absolutely correct. Thank you for giving the hint to the Conn numbers.

"All LaPorte made saxophones ...

4. have serial numbers in the range of 6,xxx and 19,xxx as well as 200,xxx and 203,xxx (except Holton Collegiate I which are not considered here). ...

5. All numbers are written in a straight line e.g. with an „A" above for alto saxophone and an „L" beneath for „Low Pitch". ..." #68 http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?113311-The-Forgotten-American-Manufacturer/page4

What does that mean practically? Here is an example:

Apart from the patent info which indicates the tenor saxophone bearing this number as being made by Conn, could otherwise a number in this layout be a Couturier number?

Not in the case at hand, because the number is higher than 19,xxx and lower than 200,xxx! So the number meets the criterion 5. but not criterion 4.

Bottom line: A serial number written in a straight line with an A above and L below within the range as outlined above could be a Couturier saxophone. In other words: In order to complete the identification you need additional positive related features like described in #68.

The serial number layout alone is just a pointer to the origin, usually no dead giveaway.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Here is another example for your consideration:

1. Definately Couturier?
2. Possibly Couturier?
3, Definately other than Couturier?

·
Premium Member
831 Posts

·
Premium Member
831 Posts

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.