Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any non-stuffy large chamber mouthpieces for alto that don't compromise projection or volume? My sound concept has changed alot and I'm leaning towards a darker, warmer sound now.

Right now I'm using a Vandoren V5 A45/Rico Jazz Select 2.5 on a Cannonball Alcazar horn.

Thanks. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Are there any non-stuffy large chamber mouthpieces for alto that don't compromise projection or volume? My sound concept has changed alot and I'm leaning towards a darker, warmer sound now.

Right now I'm using a Vandoren V5 A45/Rico Jazz Select 2.5 on a Cannonball Alcazar horn.

Large chambered mouthpieces made correctly aren't stuffy. You might not have adjusted yet to the piece, and your air flow is probably suited to the brighter piece, and not the large chambered type pieces yet.

for me I would recommend getting a Link in a tip that you like and get it refaced, or get a Phil-Tone Custom Hard Rubber in the tip that you like.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

Large chambered pieces do not necessarily give you a "dark" tone. If you want something that is not bright (or less brilliant) with added projection, definitely check out low-baffled jazz mouthpieces. Some notable recommendations would be a Hite Artist or Hite Premiere.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi,

I am a little surprised!!!!!!!!!
My A45 is one of the darkest pieces I own, also my ARB Great Neck original. My Meyer Phil-tone, I would say plays in the same league, maybe a tad less darker but in the dark side definitely.

Please take this as something SUBJECTIVE: (Form darker to brighter)

• A45
  • Great Neck Original
  • Meyer Phil Tone, Meyer Bros (the Bros depends a lot on reeds)
  • Current Meyer
  • Vandoren V16 A9M
  • RPC 90R
  • Mouthpiece Café 7R
  • Mouthpiece Café 7
  • Vandoren V16 A9S
  • Morgan Fry regular
  • Meyer NY
  • Beechler Diamond S6S
  • Clade Lakey 6/7*3

These are some of my NON metal alto pieces.
The differences in some mpcs (could go higher or lower in the list) are vey subtle and depends a lot on reeds.
Sure I forget something.
Sure I maybe could change a little my mind in some case if I try more reeds.
Rough list but could give an idea.

Darker would be my clasical pieces: A27, C*, LT.

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!
Anselmo

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
You might want to try a Selmer Soloist with a more open facing, say D,E,F. For example a vintage long shank.

·
2,853 Posts
I use an A-45 and I can get it to be quite dark by using my embouchure. Frankly, I haven't been able to find anything that can get darker than an A-45 and still project. Brancher makes a great mouthpiece that has "dark" characteristics.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To clarify, I have the jazz model of the V5 A45. I'm considering a refaced Link. I'm not looking for "really dark", but something big and husky if you know what I mean... maybe I should get a tenor. [rolleyes]

·
2,853 Posts
To clarify, I have the jazz model of the V5 A45. I'm considering a refaced Link. I'm not looking for "really dark", but something big and husky if you know what I mean... maybe I should get a tenor. [rolleyes]
I should clarify too. I use a straight A-45 non-jazz. That is the piece I meant when I said it is the darkest. I have a Saxscape Wilton that is a killer piece but it has some edge. I did try the Saxscape Wilton Dark and that was like my A-45. Maybe that would fit in your category.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi mates,

Just to clarify:

Vandoren makes five models for alto: V5, Optimum, Java, Jumbo Java and V16 S/M.

The Optimum and V5 are the models for classical music.
In the V5 model some tip openings are considered as classical pieces, some others are cosidered as jazz mpcs and he A35 is considered suitable for both purposes (in Vandoren words). Table in pdf. Another table from Vandoren.

Then, only there is one model for the V5 A45: the jazz model.
There is not two "flavours" for it, or an A45 for classical music.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Anselmo

·
Registered
543 Posts
Non stuffy with projection and warm? For me the answer are V16 7 or 8 M or the very scarce Ackerrman 7. Hope it helps
I find the A8M some way a tad "shrill", I suppose due to the short facing.
Owning several A7M, one A8M and A9M: more body to the sound on the A9M, also more freeblowing, despite of the bigger tip opening.

The same for the A9S Vs A7S: A9S more freeblowing and less of a resistance to me.

I like them a lot. Really GREAT price/quality relationship. Much better than much more expensive mpcs.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...that definately describes a HR brillhart

·
2,853 Posts
Hi mates,

Just to clarify:

Vandoren makes five models for alto: V5, Optimum, Java, Jumbo Java and V16 S/M.

The Optimum and V5 are the models for classical music.
In the V5 model some tip openings are considered as classical pieces, some others are cosidered as jazz classical and he A35 is considered suitable for both purposes (in Vandoren words). Table in pdf. Another table from Vandoren.

Then, only there is one model for the V5 A45: the jazz model.
There is not two "flavours" for it, or an A45 for classical music.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Anselmo

The A-45 I am using that is so dark and perfect for me, is one that I purchased in the early or mid 80's. It is not a V5. Just an A-45 so take my prior comments with a grain of salt. I have no idea what the current A-45 is like.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've always fantasized about a Jody Jazz DVNY but that's already out of the question. [rolleyes]

My sound concept is pretty whacked up already for an alto player. My favorite sax players to listen to are Joe Henderson, Stan Getz, Trane and Pharoah Sanders. All tenor players, two of which are considered "far out" in their style of playing. I really have to consider picking up a tenor...:bluewink:

·
1,629 Posts
I've used Vandoren A45 V5 for years and today I'm using HR Links on alto. They are FAT sounding mouthpieces with decent projection. And they are dark also. I have a collection of those ranging from 5 -> 8. If you want dark, lush mpc with projection, and not too afraid of big opening, I'd suggest you to try a 7* or even an 8. My Links are stock ones expect one is refaced.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts