Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I have bought a 10mFan Classic model mpc (7*) which I really like its ease of response and since its characteristic is focused sound I like to make it a bit more spread sounding. I tried changing ligatures (Selmer two screw to Francois Louise which helped but I found the tone was not quite what I was looking for then I changed to Vandoren Optimum which gives a nice character but makes it even more focused). For financial reasons I may not buy other ligatures that perhaps help with this tone shaping (Marc Jean II 700 apparently has a bit of that spread characteristic) but I'm trying to see what different reeds do. I had a box of Marca white box (unfiled #3) which had a decent balanced sound but the low B, Bb on the fast passages was not responding well. Also a bit in the mid-rangy side. I tried Alexander Superial #3 and it was a bit in the too buzzy sound, then Rigotti Gold # 2 1/2 and it was even more mid-rangy tone (not lush and spread sounding). It felt a bit stiff in character so I don't think I should make it even more stiff by moving up to #3. I tried D'addario Jazz Select 2H and they were more focused and a bit too buzzy. It's advertised as a focused sound which is good on most jazz mouthpieces like Link that are spread sounding. I tried D'addario Reserve and they sounded too dull. I tried Vandoren Java #3 and it sounds super bright and focused and already the low B, Bb is not as easy to come out so I'm not gonna try a stronger one of those. I tried my old Hemke #2 1/2 and it sounded better but a bit too buzzy for the low notes. I could try #3 but I'm worried if it gets too dark / dull. I tried La Voz medium and medium soft. I don't have whole bunch of them to judge them properly and they've been around from a long time ago (broken in but not used afterwards) and they sounded decent. Sort of not too buzzy and not too dull sort of with authority and character without sounding too bright or too dark but full sounding while soft enough to work with especially on low B, Bb. It sounds the most spread out of all above. I'm wondering if any focused mpc player has done this experimentation before and if so, what reed did you find works for spreading the sound? Is there any other good quality reed out there that I could try? I didn't try Rico orange box. I guess I could. Not sure where it sits sound-wise relative to La Voz. I rather have unfiled reed. I used filed reeds for a long time but I recently found out filed reeds while are good for faster response but they are too predictable and sound-wise they have narrower possibilities and since my objective at this point is maximizing the tone lushness and character and flexibility, I rather use unfiled reed. I appreciate your feedback. Someone would ask why didn't you buy a spread sounding mouthpiece. Well I guess I could but A- it's too late :) and B- I actually appreciate some of that focused tone qualities so I want to just shift it to slightly more spread sounding not whole lot like let's say Robusto or Tone Edge. Thank you!

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,343 Posts
Since you are playing a 10mfan Classic, you might want to check out Mark's site for reed recommendations (bottom of the page on this link).
https://10mfan.com/tenor-saxophone-mouthpieces/

Reeds and ligs can make some small differences, but if you are really looking for a more spread sound, you might need to try a different mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,018 Posts
You have the wrong mouthpiece.
Ligatures cannot change the nature of a mouthpiece.
By putting the whole weight of the change in sound you want on the reed, you are setting up for failure because even when you find the reed type that works, you have to be super-selective within the box of reeds, probably rejecting 3 or 4 out of five.
What you should do is get a mouthpiece that allows you to play like you want, which will allow you much more flexibility in reed selection - the right mouthpiece is always reed-friendly.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
If you've already tried eight kinds of reeds with no satisfaction, I suspect you are trying to force the mouthpiece to a place where it doesn't want to go. Two suggestions:

1. Try a 10mfan Merlot. Compare the two pieces and keep the one you like better. Sell the other. Just because you have already purchased a Classic doesn't mean you are obliged to use it for the rest of your life.

2. Get really serious with your long tones until you can consistently produce the type of sound you desire with your current mouthpiece. Force yourself to adjust your embouchure and breath support instead of jumping from one reed to the next. I don't know whether this will work for you, but some players are able to produce a very broad range of tonal qualities from just one mouthpiece.

·
10MFAN MOUTHPIECES "Innovation over imitation"
15,836 Posts
Hi,
I break up my tenor mouthpieces into 3 categories to help players with an easy way to zone in what they are looking for.
I also take it further than that by offering a spread and a focussed option in the 3 categories.

This process should narrow down the right choice as perfectly as possible.

The Classic is in my Category 1 warmer pieces, and its the focussed choice in that category.
If you dig that warmth but want more spread, the right choice would be the Merlot. Thats the Category 1 spread mouthpiece option.

The Classic mouthpiece model was specifically designed to keep the sound in front of you, and not spread wider like the Merlot.

Many players like a sound thats more in front of them without getting too wide, and others like a sound that has more spread and fatness to it, without feeling too centered ----thats why I offer both choices.

The way I set it up with my mouthpieces and categories, was to get the model you want based on your specific needs, and then use reeds and ligs to brighten or warm the pieces up, the way you want. They are super flexible like that, and incredibly reed friendly.

Getting a mouthpiece and using reeds and ligs to make it more spread or focussed was NOT the intention, and I don't think you will have great success with that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Many players like a sound thats more in front of them without getting too wide, and others like a sound that has more spread and fatness to it, without feeling too centered ----thats why I offer both choices.
And if you want all of it, you buy both a Classic and a Robusto to get the best of both world. :D

Back to the topic though: Has anyone tried Rigotti Classic on the 10Mfan Classic? Rigotti makes amazing and consistent reeds, but the Jazz cut is on the bright side for me, I have been wandering wether anyone had some more experience with the Classic and wether they are warmer/darker?

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Well, the only times I have reed trouble or wish I could change something about my sound is when I haven't been practicing enough, especially the fundamentals.

Just sayin'.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found what I was looking for. The combination of Marca Vintage 2 1/2 and Silverstein ligature works perfectly on The Classic. I get a good sound that is broader than other reeds and other ligatures I tried. It feels comfortable down to low Bb for fast passages. It is not a stiff mid-rangy sound and yet it has a controllable vibration to breath ratio (just a slight resistance). So this gives me the core, fatness, and buzz at the same time. To my ears it has enough spread(ish) complement that I'm happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts